motor oil?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

jme_jett

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what to use to clean this motor oil bottle?

Ax73212.jpg

[

Attachments

• Ax73212.jpg
    Ax73212.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 91

bubbas dad

Reaction score
i would start by soaking it in barkeepers friend for a day or two. i take one of those fiber looking scouring pads and cut them in strips then fish them into a straightened coat hanger that i looped on the end and use this to clean the inside of the bottle. you can angle the coat hanger anyway you need. it works great on soda bottles. if the stuff inside is sticky like dried oil or tar you might try letting it set with some mineral spirits over night.

flasherr

Reaction score
you can also use a toilet brush cut one end loose and makes for a long brush. I am in process of cleaning 400+ bottles that were buried under floor of an old soda pop factory. They are bad. I have gone through 2 toilet brushes already. they are so dirty inside im cheating and hooking it to a drill and spinning it that way. You can get them at the dollar store cheap enough just get the type that is a looped wire not a ball. I agree about bar keepers friends it is great I swear by it. It is one of the best secrets I learned about and shared here.
Brian

jme_jett

Reaction score
thanks for the ideas! I will post a pic when its clean! heres a pick of the bottom of it. It has LOS ANGELES, PORTLAND, OAKLAND and SEATTLE!

Mk27606.jpg

Attachments

• Mk27606.jpg
    Mk27606.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 85

madman

Reaction score
hey bd great idea i use the coat hanger for those hard to get to spots mike

madman

Reaction score
soap and water, your local head shop has brushes that are good for bottle cleaning, for stuck on crap id use chemicals, toilet bowl cleaner works well, BUT WHEN USING CHEMICALS YOU MUST PROTECT YOURSELF ! WHERE RUBBER GLOVES AND A MASK ONE TIME I GOT REALLY HIGH OFF TOILET BOWL CLEANER IT WAS NOT GOOD SAFETY FIRST MIKE

jme_jett

Reaction score
thanks to all of you! I used baking soda and a little elbow grease! Let it soak overnight! It is one of my favorites now!

Xv64366.jpg

madman

Reaction score
wow nice cleaning job!! soaking over nite is works great loosens up the crud that bottle is glowing lol mike

kastoo

Reaction score
I peeked at Ebay on motor oil bottles and it seems some are desired as much as the milk bottles!

jme_jett

Reaction score
That is very good to know! i really appreciate your help! i wish i had an ebay acct. can you tell me an approx. value? im going to guess around 30$.

Attachments

• Nl28748.jpg
    Nl28748.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 91

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member