Muriatic Baths

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Bottle Diver

Reaction score
Hi Everybody:

What is the best, (safest & most environmentally friendly), way to dispose of muriatic acid baths once your bottles are all cleaned up?

tazmainiendigger

Reaction score
I believe calcite (limestone) will neutralize it to a harmless salt (calcium chloride) mix it in till it wont fizz anymore.... Baking soda also works well.... Taz

Bottle Diver

Reaction score
Thanks.

That is what I have been doing, but the other day when I was disposing of a mixture I just wondered if there was anything else I could, or should, be doing to be more enviro-friendly [:)]

I have been using the baking soda method, but it seems to take a lot of bs before it stops its fizzing. Does limestone work any faster?

Meredith

Roger

Reaction score
You can use Sodium Hydroxide (Caustic Soda) to neutralize it and Litmus paper to determine when the pH is 7 (neutral).

Bottle Diver

Reaction score
Great, thanks.

Can I get Caustic Soda at a hardware store? I assume they probably sell the litmus paper too?

Roger

Reaction score

Hardware store should have it because it is used as a drain opener and it will be in crystaline form. Litmus paper from the pharmacy...

rwmarler

Reaction score
The all time cheapest and probably free way is, go to your local concrete/masonry supplier with a couple of large empty coffee cans with lids and a doz. dognuts. Ask the friendlest person around if they be willing to trade these here dognuts for any spare bulk LIME for neutralizing.
Better than 9 out of 10 places, you'll have to bring bigger coffee cans.
Actual mixing amounts depends on the concentration of acid being used. After neutralizing, dilute several times with water. As long as there's no petro, detergents, insecticides or econastys in it, give your outdoor plants a treat. Some plants prefer it little on the acidy side.
NOW what can I do to help this earthware ginger bottle. At least be able to read the wording in the glaze (whats left of it)

Db85408.jpg

Attachments

• Db85408.jpg
    Db85408.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 102

oldshoe4u

Reaction score
Ouch Bob! that guy looks pretty rough.. Post a pic of it again seperatley in the cleaning and repairing section (as a new thread) to see if you can get some advice..[;)]

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mistymad28