Age range help

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

NYJets

Reaction score
Hello again everybody,
I got this bottle a while back and I was wondering is this a gin bottle and is there any way to find a rough estimate of age? There isn’t a marking on the thing. Thanks again, I love this group!

Attachments

• IMG_2495.jpeg
    IMG_2495.jpeg
    256.6 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_2496.jpeg
    IMG_2496.jpeg
    158.6 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_2497.jpeg
    IMG_2497.jpeg
    191.4 KB · Views: 80

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
Ok, I'm first up so here's the chip shot. Yes, that's a gin bottle but with a primitive looking lip possibly made by slightly lazy blower that had a lower pay grade. Note the base looks modern enough. Hmmm. --Next...

NYJets

Reaction score
Ok, I'm first up so here's the chip shot. Yes, that's a gin bottle but with a primitive looking lip possibly made by slightly lazy blower that had a lower pay grade. Note the base looks modern enough. Hmmm. --Next...
So you don’t think it’s that old? That answer was too cryptic for me to decipher

hemihampton

Reaction score
that's the roughest looking lip/top I've ever seen. Would be afraid of cutting my lip on it. I think Len is saying something like lip/top looks pre 1860's while bottom looks post 1860's or something like that? Maybe recently blown at a glassblowing class? they still have those. Leon.

Reactions: Len

NYJets

Reaction score
that's the roughest looking lip/top I've ever seen. Would be afraid of cutting my lip on it. I think Len is saying something like lip/top looks pre 1860's while bottom looks post 1860's or something like that? Maybe recently blown at a glassblowing class? they still have those. Leon.
Ah I see what he meant now, yeah I figured it was old but the case gin’s are hard to narrow down on a date and I figured the experts of this group could help but it might be a lost cause through online pictures unfortunately. Thank you for the reply!

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Yeah that's an odd one isn't it? My guess is that this an 1860s-70s-ish Dutch export gin, some of those bottles were pretty sloppily made since they were intended for one-time use in areas where it often wasn't easy to be picky about what brand of gin you were purchasing. Here's an example of a similarly crude one which is definitely legit, and also doesn't have a pontil: https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/1331281139/antique-v-hoytema-c-dark-olive-green-gin

Reactions: Len

NYJets

Reaction score
Yeah that's an odd one isn't it? My guess is that this an 1860s-70s-ish Dutch export gin, some of those bottles were pretty sloppily made since they were intended for one-time use in areas where it often wasn't easy to be picky about what brand of gin you were purchasing. Here's an example of a similarly crude one which is definitely legit, and also doesn't have a pontil: https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/1331281139/antique-v-hoytema-c-dark-olive-green-gin
I appreciate that ! I thought it had to have some age to it and expected the late 19th century but wasn’t sure. Your knowledge is greatly appreciated!

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
Indeed, Canadian Bottles is very wise, quick off the mark, --and he brings pics to support his insight. :cool:

timeandabottle

Reaction score
I think late 1800's is a good guess. Hard to tell but picture one almost seams to have wear marks as if the bottle had been stored on its side for a long time. It looks like some wear on the bottom also. Nice looking bottle regardless of the age though!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen