MY HOLE BLOWN OPEN

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

diggermeister

Reaction score
Hey all, I have been working a site were a plantation circa 1818 once stood. I had begun to open up a spot full of ash, brick, and lots of broken glass. I had found nearly 20 pre 1900 bottle necks and a few embossed side panals. Promissing. But, It was very slow going. I was not able to return to the site for about 2 weeks and when I did; the hole was opened like a bomb crater [>:]! There were two sift piles and one BIM medicine with the lip broken off! And that's all...And whoever raped the spot did not even back fill it !
Is there not a code that we all can go by. Some unwritten law that has you show respect to the other digger's. Not to mention how we leave an area once were done with it [:-]. Where is our humanity?
I'm sure many of us have stories like this. If we share them maybe we can bring these problems to light and shame those responsible for these outrages to change their evil way's...

digdug

Reaction score
That is one reason why it is hard to get permission to dig someplace. Someone has gone in and made a huge mess, didn't take the time to place it back like it was and ruin it for the rest of us. I've ran into that before. Can't get permission because the landowner had a mess after the last group of diggers.

IRISH

Reaction score
That stinks and yes I have had it happen to me. I think someone digging out your hole is one thing but idiots who leave holes open without even trying to backfill really get under my skin [:mad:] , there is a couple of diggers here who do it and have been responsable for people getting kicked off a lot of good sites. Did you fill the hole in after ? hard I know to fill in a hole that should of been yours but at least it keeps the locals happy. Bit of luck the digger didn't get anything [;)] .

justarookie

Reaction score
hey guys,
i realize digging a hole and leaving it wide open may be a problem and might see hoe land owners dont really like it. but i have been spending the last 2 days digging this one spot and now down about 5 1/2 feet and still pulling out bottle (turn of the century) and i still want to dig deeper. My question is at what point do i fill this hole back in because if i was to fill it back in that would be a waste of 2 days when there is still bottles to be found. So if someone could just throw me some knowledge on that i would appreciate it alot. I can understand how owners may not like it and how it can be dangerous to others but wouldnt have been a waste to get that deep and at that tme period of the dump and just fill it back in . thanks, any comment would be appreciated

diggermeister

Reaction score
Hey Justarookie, I suppose that all depends on the location of the hole. If it is out of the way, in the forest etc. it would be ok I think to leave it until you can be sure you've got all the good stuff. Sometimes, in this situation, I'll pull some nearby debry over the hole just in case. Now, if you are in someones yard or a high traffic area you can bring along a piece of plywood and a couple of orange cones (cheap at home depot, lowe's) and cover and mark the hole. This looks nice and professional and keeps landowners happy.
Just a couple of the things I've tried...[8|]

Mainepontil

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your loss Diggermeister. Do what I do. I DO NOT leave a dump until I bury my hole. I know it makes hard work when you go back but it's better than finding it dug out. If you collapse your hole good any other digger will usually be too lazy to dig it back out thinking you already got all the bottles. And never leave any good pieces laying around. I always scatter the screw tops and ABM's. Works everytime for me. The debris trick works good too. It's tought though, there are alot of diggers who do this for a living and it is $$$ before dignity.[:mad:]

I can't count how many dumps I've lost to other diggers. Its dog eat dog.

I know it sounds bad but I would and do dig holes that have been left open, unless I know the digger. Thats where we always start when we find a dump thats been dug. Less work, plus you never know if that person is coming back or not? Maybe they were not finding much and decided to quit.? Perhaps they were just passing through? You just never know, so when in doubt, dig it out.

Joel

diggermeister

Reaction score
Thanks Joel, you make some valid points. It is great to get imput from such an experienced digger. You are my, Digging Guru. You got a great forum too, http://www.bottledigger.net., THANKS

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aarhar75