Need help ID'ing this object

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

damion

Reaction score
I'm not a big collector of artifacts, but am very interested in history of the late 1800 to early 1900's I was on a recent hunting trip to a remote area of the north central mountains of PA. and found what appeared to be the remains of a wooden barrel. all that was left was the metal bands. Under the area where the barrel was I discovered a bottle, which appears to be pre1900, I found this item(picture below)It seems to be made of white glass and is
1 1/4" tall. The bottom is approx. 1" in diameter and the top about 3/8", about 1/4" from the top is a groove. It also has a diamond shaped hole through the center. Any help with ID'ing this would be greatly appriatated!!!!!!!!

Thanks Rick

Hf98181.jpg

Picture cropped and reduced in size - please see Help - Using the Forum ---> Uploading a Picture - Admin

damion

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I would never have guessed that it was a stopper. Being so hard how did seal a carbonated drink. In the spring I think I'll return to the spot with some hand tools, and see what else may be around. Thanks again, Rick

Sam_MaineBottles

Reaction score
Hi Damion-

Welcome to the Forum! Your object is a porcelain bottle stopper. Near the narrow end a small rubber gasket was fitted on the indented ring on the stopper and was then secured to the bottle with a bale or lightning type closure. The picture below is of a stoneware bottle circa 1880s-90s that used such a stopper. Sometimes the stoppers would have the bottler's name on them.

-Sam

Wu62099.jpg

Attachments

• Wu62099.jpg
    Wu62099.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 85

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member