NEED HELP ON VALUE OF THESE BOTTLES

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

NyDigger1

Reaction score
Ok, i collect nyc stuff, Im a college student and money is tight nowadays. But ive been recently presented with quite a few offers for nyc stuff that I need to have in my collection. Problem is I dont have enough.

3 years ago I bought these 2 bottles in an antique store, when I didnt even know what the word pontil meant. I was the type of collector that wanted anything made out of glass, and nyc stuff on top of that. So I paid $2 each for these. Found out theyre pontil later. 1840s nyc meds with full paper labels, and not even worn, people have told me these were the nicest examples of pontil labeled bottles theyve ever seen, especially 1840s...

Now the problem, I might have to sell one of them to be able to afford my other conquests in the hobby.
Both are aqua, one has 95% of the label, the other has 99%. Ive gotten offers from between $800 each to $3500 each. How much are they worth honestly? And if youre interested in them let me know Ill keep you in mind, im going to make the decision within the next few days...

4203430_orig.jpg

cyberdigger

Reaction score
I'd track down the source of the $3500 each offer and seal the deal..!

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Bummer.. if that offer was made before 2009, you might not see another of its caliber again.. or not until you don't need cash again.. [&:]

NyDigger1

Reaction score
I know, im surprised no one else responded to this post, last time i put up just the pic people were jumping all over it

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Mike,

These look like they are some nice pieces of early New York druggist history. I'd like to see a better photo of both labels, please.

I admire the work you've done on your website. Your light box setup seems powerfully lit from overhead, and sometimes the details lower on the body are shadow obscured, while the finish and upper details seem occasionally to have that headlight glare. This is about the only constructive criticism I have on the photos.

If you are looking to sell, you gotta SELL IT. Head for the library, find a bit of history. Take it to a museum or 2. Have some experienced hands give you some feedback.

John H. Currie billed himself as a "Practical Pharmaceutic Chemist" in his Ayers Cherry Pectoral testimonial, from the Geneva Gazette.

"The Board then balloted for members of the Publishing Committee, when the following were found to be elected. MESSRS. JNO. H. CURRIE, THos. B. MERRICK, C. B. GUTHRIE, EUGENE DUPUy, with Ex Officio, GEO. D. COGGESHALL, President of the College. ON TWO VARIETIES OF FALSE JALAP. BY JOHN H. CURRIE. Two different roots have for some time back been brought to the New York market, for the purpose of adulterating or counterfeiting the various preparations of Jalap. They differ materially from the Mechoacan and other varieties of false Jalap which formerly existed in our markets, as'described by Wood and Bache in the United States Dispensatory, while some of the pieces bear no slight resemblance to the true root. The specimens I have been able to procure are so imperfect, and so altered by the process of drying, that the botanists I have consulted are unable to give any information even as to the order to which they belong. I have not been able either to trace their commercial history, nor do I know how, under the present able administration of the law for the inspection of drugs,'they have obtained admission to our port..." New York Journal of Pharmacy, 1854.

These 2 little nuggets make me think there is probably more available on paper and microfiche, somewhere in your vicinity...

220px-Jabir_ibn_Hayyan.jpg

NyDigger1

Reaction score
Balt, they are 6 inches tall each.

surface, thanks for all of the info on this thread and on the bank thread.

But trust me theres no where here where I can take these to get them checked out. Ill try to go into the city to find out if theres any paper documentation, but it could take a while.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
They are worth what someone will pay. If anyone offers you $3500 grab it , run like mad , and dont look back[;)]
First suggestion I'd offer is never tell anyone you have two. It lowers the value...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter