Need help Please

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

David E

Reaction score
I was wondering if the forme guys and gals could think of someting to help me 0r sleep on it and maybe dream it up.
As I said before I am no longer able to dig because of health. But been running this over my mind. I have a spot with a lage early dump. It sloopes to lake and I beleive some may be under water do to rising and falling of the water. Have a friend with a boat and we could get to this spot in his boat. I was wondering how to put together something that could be thrown over with a line or held at end of long pole to scrape the bottom and latch on some bottles to bring to the surface. "Make him do the work"
Thanks
Dave

kastoo

Reaction score
You can do what ever you want. There are a lot of guys who would dig for you just for a chance to dig anything good. I'm sure they'd let you keep a lot of good stuff just for the chance to dig a good spot. You should look for folks to help you. There's a lady on this forum somewhere who is wheelchair bound and she goes on digs.

CJCrystalmines

Reaction score
I have a couple of ideas that might work! I Have a several large salmon fishing nets with long handles. I think one might be for halibut, as it's extra large. We could assemble them together by drilling a hole through the pole and attaching extra tubing with nuts and bolts. Also could use the 4 prong garden tool and attach large handles on them too! I am sure I can come up with several other ideas that will work if needed. As they say if there's a will there's a way [:)]How steep is the incline to the lake? Is the water fairly clear? How deep are we talking? Have you pulled any early township or topo maps for this time period? I am available to help just say when and where. In case if you haven't noticed, we have a new forum for diggers looking for partners[:D]
Carmen

CJCrystalmines

Reaction score
Hi Brian!
This old ferry dock sounds interesting! I am assuming it is here in the sound? Let me know if you want some help. I don't dive either, but we should be getting some very low tides soon! We could use flood lights at night, so that wouldn't be a problem either. Do you have a boat?

bigkitty53

Reaction score
Hi David,
There are a few things I've done over the years that might help you with ideas-depending on what physical conditions your site has,i.e.;
Water current and clarity
Water depth,high and low,if tidal
Substate,sand,mud,silt,pebble,etc.
Slope,mudflat?Cliff?
Any Obstructions?Large rocks,logs,etc?

I've used dredges,airlifts and modified cherrypickers depending on site conditions.PM or email me with details and I'll see what to suggest,and I can get my old plans/scetches scanned if need be.(You too,Brian.You dived that ferry landing yet?)

KAT

appliedlips

Reaction score
David,

How about using a long probe to locate the bottles.Once the bottle is probed stick the probe in the mud just next to it to mark it.Glass will probe easily under water as water will carry the sound better than dirt.Then extend the handles on a post hole digger or make a light weight version.Get some spray rubber to coat the blades to prevent damage to the bottles.From there on it just like using chopsticks.Just a thought.Good luck and wish you luck.Doug

ronvae

Reaction score
I wish I did live near you, but I don't, so without knowing anything about the conditions, this is how I'd approach it:
1. First, I'd get one of those magnets that you can tie to a line and just drag along the bottom from the boat. They are sold in many different sizes/strengths in catalogs that have hardware/tools/etc.. for sailboat and powerboat owners. I'd do that first to see what metal stuff you could bring up.
2. Second, I'd get some of the folks who have volunteered to help you to go in the water with snorkles, masks & fins, to feel around in the shallows. No diving experience necessary, and you only need a probe if the bottom is hard sand. If it is muck, you just stick your arms in as far as they'll go & squish away. If it is a rock bottom, you just look with your eyes, everything will be sitting on top of the rocks, or visible & jammed between them.
3. Next, with the info about the site that you gathered with the magnets & snorklers, you can figure out what nets/probes/lines/grapples/lights might be useful in what places.
4. Lastly, after you have some cool stuff to show off, post some pictures on the forum to get your local divers drooling, and make them buy you lots of beer in exchange for you taking them out to the site & letting them keep every other thing they find.
:)

CJCrystalmines

Reaction score
I am pretty sure that the large fish nets will work. The handles are made out of metal. I figured we could drill a hole through it and the tubing and attach it using a bolt, lock washer and nut. It could be assembled on land or in the boat. I use to have a 25ft boat, and fished alot from Redondo towards the Nisqually Delta. Towards Nisqually were it's shallow, this method seemed to work rather well. I pulled up alot of rocks and garbage but no bottles. The nets were very durable and took alot of abuse. I don't know what happened to David, but my experience with lakes around here they vary. Some have very rocky bottoms, others mucky mud, some sandy and alot with combination of stuff including logs and tree stumps. We'll have to get more info from David as to where the lake is located. If it's up in the higher mountain areas, it'll be extremely cold until July. As of last week several of the mountain lakes still had some ice in them, and small (micro amounts) of snow around the shore line. I think Doug has a good idea also, with the post hole diggers. I've got some that I'll try out in the next couple of days. How I'am thinking about it, those pooper scooper tools might even work with a long handle. I also think Ronvae has a good idea with the magnet. I've got some that I'll try to dig out of the shed , they're not huge but I might as well give them a try.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Webster