NEED HELP WITH HUTCHINSON SODA BOTTLE ID

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
On another website I tap into ocassionally there is a debate going on as to whether the following Hutchinson bottle is a true Coca Cola bottle, or just a franchise-type bottle used by an Atlantic City, New Jersey bottler?

I apologize for the small photo, but it came from a weird file and was the best I could come up with. The following text was with the photo, and you will notice where the seller describes the bottle as being from 1890. It's hard to say exactly what the seller's meaning is here, because everyone familiar with Coca Cola should know by now that the first Coca Cola Hutch bottle didn't come out until 1894. Maybe the guy meant "around 1890." ???

Irregardless, based on everything I know, I'd say the bottle is definitely not a true Coca Cola bottle. The CC in the star may very well stand for Coca Cola, but it is my personal opinion that it is simply a franchise bottle ... and not from 1890, but possibly made anytime between about 1899 and 1915. There are documented facts (according to Bill Porter) that Coca Cola Hutch's were, in some locals, still being used throughout the teens.

But then again, it may not be a Coca Cola botle at all, and the CC stands for something else. I am not 100% sure and was hoping that someone among us was familiar with this bottle and could positively identify and date it.

Please note that the bottle sold in 2008 and is obviousley no longer on e-bay. The following text is copy/pasted as it was originally posted, so you will have to read between the lines a little to make sense of it. But the main point is whether it's a true Coca Cola bottle or not. I say "NOT" ... [8|]

Thanks

SODAPOPBOB

{Text}

Antique Atlantic City Coke bottle.There is a star on the front of the bottle, inside the star is written "THE CC BOT. CO. ATLANTIC CITY NJ". the "CC" is written in a second smaller star. Written on the back is, "THIS BOTTLE NOT SOLD REGISTERED". The bottom of the bottle has a star on it. this bottle is a hutch bottle from 1890, found in Atlantic city on north Carolina ave.in good shape could be cleaned. on the back picture, that is a cork not a bruise or ding. the camera isnt very good,or my son who took picture lol. this same bottle got 17 bids last time out $53.00, however the guy didnt pay, so it is back on ebay.
|
[/align]
[/align]{Photo} The large star (with a CC inside of it) should be a major clue.

349CA0BA962F4FB8832E98C2B0F66FEB.jpg

Attachments

• 349CA0BA962F4FB8832E98C2B0F66FEB.jpg
    349CA0BA962F4FB8832E98C2B0F66FEB.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 68

celerycola

Reaction score
I have seen several of these Atlantic City bottles and suspect it to be a Celery=Cola bottle. Their headquarters was in Jersey City in 1899 before moving back south to Birmingham.

Coke was being bottled in Hutchinson bottles in Atlanta in 1887 and 1888 several years before Biedenharn bottled it in Mississippi.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Celery ~

Thanks a million. I knew someone like yourself would know.

May I use your comments to set those "other guys" straight? I'll just say it came from an "advanced" collector who has several of those bottles in his collection. I won't mention your name or A-B.net. I don't particularly like that other site anyway ... too much arguing and the like goes on there for my taste.

Thanks again,

Bob

celerycola

Reaction score
Source for the 1880's Coke bottlers in Atlanta was Charles Howard Candler: nephew of Asa Candler and at the time of that statement was President of the Coca-Cola Company. His statement was a part of his sworn testimony in US Federal Court.

That's good enough for me but anyone can argue with anything.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen