Needs help id'ing these bottles (graphic intensive!)

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Bluetooth

Reaction score
Hi there, everyone. The other day, I've sorta become a bottle collector entirely by accident. I've recently bought a house in Northwestern Ontario. The house is situated on a hill and is a 1940s starter home. Anyways, the backyard was in serious need of landscaping. So I and my family started carving out the hill to at least give it some flatness we can use to put in a patio. In doing so, we discovered a wide variety of items. (including a lot of welding debris. One of the former owners was big in to welding and cars.) What we quickly learned was that back in the old days before there was regular garbage collection, people would burn and bury their garbage. However, the people who once owned my home just simply buried their garbage without burning it leaving us with a lot of interesting items. So can anyone help me identify the year, value, and in some cases what was the bottle was used for? (EI: what was the contents?)

Thank you. Now here's the things I found in my backyard:

40scokebottle.jpg

This is one of the six embossed coca-cola bottle that was found. Of the six, this one was in the best condition. Most of the bottles held up considerably well. There was only one damaged one in the batch. It was missing the neck above the logo band. There is, however, a seventh bottle only the logo was painted on in white ink and is much larger than the embossed bottles. The inked bottle was 10 fluid ounces.

BottleCollection.jpg

Here's a part of the collection near my sink. The glass that's closest to the front is believed to be a theater glass. It has no writing on it what so ever. It's a slight mystery to me.

Bucklesand7up.jpg

Also sitting by my sink is a Buckley's bottle and a 7up bottle. I don't know anything on the Buckley's bottle.

Buckleysamberglass.jpg

Here's another shot of the Buckey's bottle on its' own.

InkedBottles.jpg

These are my two other inked bottles. As you can see, one of them is a 7up and the other comes from Mission Beverages. Unfortunately, these are really hard to clean because whenever I try to gently clean them, the ink seems to want to chip and rub off. I'm worried about the ink. Is there a way I can preserve the ink and clean the bottle? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The Mystery Items

These items shown here, I have no idea about. Can anyone help me with some of these?

The Port Arthur Mystery Bottle:

My city used to be split up in to two different cities - Port Arthur and Fort William. I think it's around the 1950s or early 1960s when the two cities amalgamated to eventually become Thunder Bay. I have no idea what this bottle contained as it has no label. All it says on it is "Port Arthur Bottling Company" and how many ounces it contained.

PortArthurMysteryBottle.jpg

Here's a shot of the full bottle.

PortArthurMysteryBottleDetails3.jpg

A better shot of the writing.

PortArthurMysteryBottleDetails1.jpg

A close up of the side.

PortArthurMysteryBottleDetails2.jpg

Another close up. You can see it had 12 fluid ounces. It's one of the larger bottles I've found.

The Amber Mystery Jar:

I know next to nothing about this jar. It's a huge mystery! It has a seam on the inside of the jar and texturizing on the side. It has no writing as to what it contained. However, on the bottom of the jar is the label "V - 1911." I'm not sure if this was a date or a model number. It seems oddly out of place for me considering that this house was first built in the 1940s.

MysteryJar.jpg

This is my mysterious amber jar, You can see the stippled texture on it.

MysteryJarDetails.jpg

This is the best shot I got of the details on the bottom. It says "V - 1911" on the bottom. I don't know if that's a date or a model number.

The Mystery "Medicine" Bottle:

This bottle is an odd one. The cap is made of plastic and appears to be a screw off. Inside appears to be some kind of clear liquid and brown stuff. (Mold?) On the bottom it says "Portlip - Oval." On the side it says only "3. I suspect it's a medicine bottle but I'm unsure.

MysteryBottleI.jpg

This is a shot of the "Medicine" bottle. I'm very unsure of what this bottle once contained or what the story is.

Assorted Items

These are non-bottle items that were found with the bottles.

The Swan and The Pilot:

This is a Swan nicknak and some kind of pilot toy. I know that this section of the forum is primarily for bottles but I felt that I should include the finds together since they were all found together. If anyone knows anything on these, feel free to speak up.

SwanandPilot.jpg

This is a swan and a pilot. The pilot appears to have belonged in some toy at some point in time. He seems to be wearing WWII flight gear. He's made out of plastic, I think. The swan seems to be ceramic.

Bird Whistles:

These are two bird whistles I found.

BirdWhistles.jpg

I find them really interesting. As you can see, there's both a yellow and a red one.

Not Pictured

Inked Coca-cola bottle: Says it's 10 fluid ounces. Has a hobble-skirt design and clear glass. The logo is painted on in white ink.

Lott's Chemistry Bottle: It's a very small bottle with a black metal cap. It says "Lott's Chemistry" along the side. It looks like it once belonged to a kid's chemistry set. I want to limit handling this one because it might be contaminated. Anyone have any good ideas on how to get this one cleaned up? Also, does anyone know anything about "Lott's Chemistry?"

Thanks, everyone.

madman

Reaction score
hey blue tooth, nice finds looks to be late 40s 50s the buckleys im guessing is a med , ive dug that one also, cool nick knacks, love the bird whistles do they still work?? its aways cool finding bottles on yer own property, as far as value not much,are you done digging? id keep them mike

Bluetooth

Reaction score
Thanks, Madman.

I haven't tested the bird whistles yet. I'm a little nervous because in some places, the plastic is starting to deteriorate on them and I don't want to damage them. My guess is that they probably still do. They are intact enough where it looks like a possibility. (Though, I probably get my miniature air compressor set to a low PSI to blow on them rather than to put them to my mouth and do it that way. That sort of thing makes me a little nervous.) I'm still going to be digging back there as the fact that I haven't got the hillside carved in the way that I want it. So it's anyone's guess as to what I may find next. As for any future findings, I'll probably be updating this thread.

TheDiggerBoy91

Reaction score
The clear Coca-Cola bottles were produced between 1942-1945. They were clear during those years because copper, used to create the green tint, was used for the war effort.

Buckley's is a cough syrup introduced in 1919 and still produced today.

The Mission and 7Up bottles should have the dates they were produced on the bottom.

Couldn't find anything on Port Arthur bottling company. Local soda bottles are always fun though.

The "mystery jar" certainly was not produced in 1911. 1940's is more like it. It was produced by The Dominion Glass company of Montreal/Quebec. The wide mouth suggests it contained some kind of food product.

The Mystery Medicine bottle is a common pharmacy perscription bottle. They were produced by glass companies and sold in bulk to drug stores. "Portlip-Oval" was probably the glass company's pharmacy perscription bottle "model name".

pyshodoodle

Reaction score
We found a bird whistle like that in one of our newer dumps too! It was pinkish & does work.
Welcome to the forum! Digging is a great hobby - better, even, than bottles! [;)]

Kate

Bluetooth

Reaction score
Thanks for the help, everyone. I dug around the backyard a little more since then and found nothing new. However, I did do some looking in to as far as Mission Beverages goes. It turns out that Mission was actually a local soda produced in an area just on the outskirts of town called "Mission Island." Currently, it's a wild life reserve. But way back then, the factory used to be there. I took a drive by on the island and while the main building isn't there anymore, I did see the ruined remains of the factory. It's covered in thick bush and forest. It sorta reminds me of what Happy Valley looks like post-Manhattan Project. It's an urban ruin now.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimk26