New bottles found in yard anyone know what they might be

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Burris5

Reaction score
First one id say is a perfume/cologne bottle, second would probably be a (possibly fairly old) wine or liquor bottle. First one maybe 20s-turn of the century, second, possibly mid 1800s? Im not an expert by any means on those bottles, there are far more knowledgeable people here for those
Would you happen to know anything about this bottle it was purchased from antique store because of the purple color and 14 k gold around it.

Attachments

• 1629390805985745223654.jpg
    1629390805985745223654.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 76
  • 1629390827248881971809.jpg
    1629390827248881971809.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 72
  • 16293908431902027661057.jpg
    16293908431902027661057.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 68
  • 16293908626412090236003.jpg
    16293908626412090236003.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 70

K6TIM

Reaction score
Any Bitters Bottle is usually a good find but the Hostetters is the most common one out there. But that's a good sign, if that is there the Potential for much better Bottles is Possible, especially if you could find the Privy. LEON.
The clear one looks as if it's a perfume bottle.Check yo see if it has sprinkler lip (small hole in the bore/lip of that bottle? The green bottle is a wine bottle why it has a bottle base that "kicks-up"The lip looks to be a packer lip.Where the wine for the coke to keep it in is wired to the bottom edge of the lip!
K6TIM-TIM

Burris5

Reaction score
The clear one looks as if it's a perfume bottle.Check yo see if it has sprinkler lip (small hole in the bore/lip of that bottle? The green bottle is a wine bottle why it has a bottle base that "kicks-up"The lip looks to be a packer lip.Where the wine for the coke to keep it in is wired to the bottom edge of the lip!
K6TIM-TIM
How old do you think we are looking at?

willong

Reaction score
Not sure I want anyone like that digging around our house
By AWOL, I'm sure Leon just meant that the Missourian privy digger hadn't been posting on our forum lately. Privy diggers typically don't tear up a yard with indiscriminate digging. They locate the privy pit(s) first via probing. Then, the considerate ones, which any should be when seeking permission to dig 19th century sites, carefully cut and save the sod over the pit area in order to restore any lawn areas after the excavation.

willong

Reaction score
What I see among the bottles that you have posted so far all appear to be late 19th to early 20th century examples. Like Leon noted, the bitters bottle is a good sign that better things might be lurking underground.

TIP: When photographing, try to focus as clearly as possible on the surface features of any bottle for which you would like more information. If the bottle is embossed and your photo doesn't capture all the information, transcribe to writing and include with the photo posting. In addition to embossing, details of the the neck and lip area and the base are usually the most helpful in determining age and other features.

For example, we could have told you a little more about your Dr. J. Hostetter's Stomach Bitters bottle had you included a detailed photo of the neck of the bottle. That particular product was sold from 1853 until the 1960's. Other than changes in the embossing over the life of a product (partners added or dropped, company address change, etc.), pontil mark and type (or absence) and the mold marks with evidence of applied lips, blown in mold with tooled lip, or machine produced bottle are what we look for to determine the approximate age of the bottle.

If you enjoy learning and would like to learn how to age and identify the probable use of the bottles you find I highly recommend this site, though you might find it a bit overwhelming at first: https://sha.org/bottle/index.htm

Jeffsattic21

Reaction score
I have tried looking into it but unable to find anything would anyone happen to know what these are or what time frame they are from? They were found in my yard which the house was built in 1840 so am not sure what/where it came from. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all.
Howling have you lived there? Are there any large Oak trees that stand out more than the others? If so there could have been an old house or church there back in the day and you’ve stumbled across their old 100+ year old trash pile that Mother Nature has hidden over the years.. Not to mention maybe an old well and a few old foundation rocks. Check your local historical society, court house and library for old maps, plats and deeds.

willong

Reaction score
Here's an example of the type of detail that helps us determine whether a bottle was machine made or blown in a mold by a person and finished by the glassblower or his assistant with a lip-forming forming tool:
J Hostetters_neck detail.JPG

In this case it is a detail from a photo I just shot of a J. Hostetter's Stomach Bitters bottle which I dug ages ago. It is a machine made example, thus the bottle is newer than 1903.

I've noticed that some of the newer and less-experienced members of this forum when describing mold seams such as this will say: "Seam ends below the lip." That is incorrect and misleading. The seam actually transitions from a vertical seam to an annular seam that forms the bottle's lip. Note that there are no annular striations or smear above that annular seam as would be left by the turning of a lipping tool.

willong

Reaction score
Would you happen to know anything about this bottle it was purchased from antique store because of the purple color and 14 k gold around it.
It's a decorative liquor glass. Likely make in Venice or some similar glass-blowing center.

Here's example from a set of six shot glasses (came with matching decanter) that my parents bought in Venice in 1964:

1629420927376.jpeg

hemihampton

Reaction score
You had said he went awol sorry may have taken it the wrong way

All I meant was he has not been in here posting much any more. But he would be a great help to help you find the Privy's. LEON.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
louieb583