new collector

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bottle34nut

Reaction score
ok, here is a question. there is a new collector in the area i live(northern nj). from what i can tell he is young. how do you convince a parent that you are normal and mean no harm? you have to remember new jersey is a haven for preditors. should i invite his mother and father? should i meet them in a public place? i want to encourage this kid to collect, but i know (im 46 with children, that dont live with me), that there are a lot of wierdos in the world. what do i do? greg

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Just don't be a weirdo about it.. ask if his parents will let you stop by, introduce yourself, show off a couple bottles, talk about the hobby, and give a couple bottles to the kid.. I met you, I know you won't come across as a creep!

glass man

Reaction score
NEW JERSEY IS A HAVEN FOR PREDITORS!!!! THANKS FOR THE WARNING![JUST KIDDIN KINDA] IF IT IS THAT BAD I WOULD JUST LEAVE IT ALONE...CAUSE YOU MAY JUST BE OPENING YOURSELF UP TO????

YOU SAY FROM WHAT YOU CAN TELL HE IS YOUNG...HAVE YOU NOT MET THE PERSON? WHAT MAKES YOU THINK THE PERSON IS YOUNG AND HOW YOUNG? SORRY JUST MY PSYCOHOLOGY BACK GROUND KICKING IN.

REALLY I AM SHOCKED TO HEAR BOUT THE HAVEN THING..I DON'T GET IT...DOES NEW JERSEY ADVERTISE THIS IN THEY "COME LIVE IN NEW JERSEY" BOOKLETS? "NEW JERSEY...WE PRIDE OURSELVES IN BEING A HEAVEN FOR PREDITORS"!" SO SOON AS YOU GET PAROLED COME ON DOWN" SORRY I KNOW THIS IS A VERY VERY SERIOUS MATTER...I MYSELF AM FOR A CHILD MOLESTOR NEVER GETTING OUT OF PRISON...THAT GOES FOR PRIESTS TOO!

I AM TOO FOR ENCOURAGING THE YOUNG IN BOTTLE COLLECTING...BUT YOUR CONCERN BOUT IT MAKES ME CONCERED FOR YOU...IF YOU AIN'T SURE AS I SAID LEAVE IT ALONE...LOAN HIM A BOTTLE BOOK OR TAKE SOME OF YOUR COLLECTION FOR THE KID AND HIS PARENTS TO SEE. LIKE CHARLIE SAID GET THE PARENTS INVOLVED...MAYBE THEY WILL ALL GO ON A DIG WITH YOU.

JUST MY 34 CENTS WORTH...JAMIE

bostaurus

Reaction score
I would be sure to have the parents involved and never be alone with the kid. It is sad but it is just the world we live in now. Parents have reason to be defensive with some of the very sick folks out there but there are also many looking for a pretext for suing and making what they believe to be fast sum of money.
It is not just kids either. When my husband was a commander he would never counsel female soldiers with out his sergeant in the room. There were just too many cases of female soldiers bringing harassment charges when they had been disciplined for something.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
It is sad but it is just the world we live in now.
I remember riding my bicycle unsupervised and no helmet. Heck, so much of what I did as a kid would probably be called child abuse or neglect today.
Sad indeed!

Wheelah23

Reaction score
Let's see...

Let's call this new collector "Schmeela". I think he and you should be able to work something out in PMs. Just my thoughts on the subject.

GEEMAN

Reaction score
FOR SURE get the parents involved! I've taken a couple of my grandsons friends (whose parents I didn't know at all) along fishing. I ALWAYS start by letting the kids know that we don't go anywhere without the parents OK = where/when we are going and what time to have the kid/kids back etc. If I can't meet the parents face to face we talk on the phone. I introduce myself, explain the days plan and ask if they have any questions. After that I ALWAYS let them know that if they feel the least bit uncomfortable about the situation then their kid doesn't go with - no exceptions. Most kids have their own cell phone these days but I also give the parents my cell # and tell them to call any time they want during the outing if they want to. If there happens to be a change in the planned outing (we want to go to another spot etc) I ALWAYS have the kid call his parents ( then I talk to the parent) just to make sure the parents are as informed as possible about our location/plans AND to make sure the kid doesn't "exagerate" (LOL) what the parents wishes are.

Sure,you open yourself up by giving up info to a stranger ( for lack of a better word ) but so far ( 3 times ) it has been a GREAT experience for all parties involved.

I say go for it as the rewards far outweigh the risks IMO. NOTHING better than to see a kids face light up when you can introduce them to an activity they may not have ever had the chance to be exposed to were it not for a stranger not making a little extra effort/taking a risk to try and involve them in a potentialy life long interest/hobby.

Good luck and looking forward to see how this all works out for you.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles