New Digger in Maine

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Jenztwk

Reaction score
I live in the downeast region of Maine near Acadia National Park.. I usually go metal detecting with my dad whenever we get a chance and the weather is nice. We went behind an old house across the street on Sunday and while detecting, I noticed an old dump site and started to rummage around and found some bottles... these are the ones that I decided to bring home.. I know they're not too old.. maybe 40's or 50's era, but still kinda cool. I've tried to do research on the Venida Shampoo bottle but I have come up blank.

Listerine.jpg

the 3 listerine bottles I found.

Jenztwk

Reaction score
DES Pat. 89237 .. I did some research and someone mentioned something about this patent number about Dunton's Tinner Fluid.. but I don't know.. anyone have any other ideas?

Jenztwk

Reaction score
This is the Venida Oil Shampoo bottle I found.. it still had the cap on it and a slight splash of the shampoo left.. definitely quite a potent shampoo and a pain to clean out of the bottle. I did have the lid for it but it was metal and it ended up falling apart when I unscrewed the cap.

Venida.jpg

Jenztwk

Reaction score
This says on the bottom Jergens Pat Appld For. I assume translates to a patent that has been applied for.. I have no idea what the bottle was for and have found a similar picture online of the bottle, but it doesn't have the same wording on the bottom as that one did. Any ideas?

Jergens-1.jpg

Jenztwk

Reaction score
All of the finds I found.. March 21, 2010... I'm really surprised we don't have any frozen ground to compete with right now.. I had no problems getting to these bottles!

MarchFind.jpg

Oldtimer

Reaction score
Hey there, welcome to the site and the hobby! It becomes quite addictive in a hurry.

Those are all "common", and my guess is that the dump was used by a woman or a "dandy" man.
Now, keep looking. 9 times out of 10 the "new" trash is right on top of or very near the "good stuff".
The better stuff is likely buried under 6-8" of leaves and dirt...

Jenztwk

Reaction score
I know what you mean by addicting!! I've been metal detecting for 2 years or better now and it's truely a passion.. I know this an antique bottle site.. but this is my BEST metal detecting find ever!... it just helps me push to find better bottles (and coins of course) [:D]

But yes, I know.. not a bottle.. but my best collecting find yet.. I dug this at a cellar hole in the middle of the woods in the middle of know where in Lamoine, Maine. We found the cellar hole by looking at old maps and through the historical society.

1826-Large-Cent.jpg

beendiggin

Reaction score
Hi Jen, welcome aboard....There are a lot of old bottles still buried in Maine, and coins, too. I've dug here for about 30 years and there are still surprises every year. If you want to get in touch with your inner bottle child, there is a great bottle show in a couple of weeks in Somersworth , NH on April 11th. Look up the post under the Upcoming Shows category. I live in Waldoboro and I can get there in 2-1/2 hrs. You should try to make it if you can. Happy hunting..

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claudia1