NEW FIND! Roussel Potlid! Found next to my marked territory.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

PhilaBottles

Reaction score
hello. i have a potlid that my buddy found in southwest Philadelphia while we were looking for privies. They just took down another house to make another apartment and we decided to check it out. as we probe the ground, im dripping from sweat and drinking as much water as i could to stay hydrated. then i had a call of nature. number one to be exact. so i looked for a spot behind a house that was just built (nobody lived in it yet). as i finished my business, i went back to probing. we found nothing. so i took a walk around the block and found another torn down house. as im in the 15 - 20 foot hole, my buddy comes over with this potlid. he said he found it next to where i did my business earlier. haha. i just thought that was a funny story to share. its a crude story, but funny. he wanted some info on it, and i told him its from the late 1840's because i found this name in the 1847 Philadelphia directory under perfumer. i know about the X Bazin thing, but if someone can ellaborate...and give some further insight on rarity/value at previous auction. i think its going on ebay because my buddy who found it doesnt collect potlids.

Matt.

DSC01355.jpg

DSC01356.jpg

DSC01357.jpg

DSC01358.jpg

TROG

Reaction score
Hi Matt,

This is actually the base from a Shaving Cream Pot Lid and is not very valuable unless you have the lid to go with it.
Roussel was in business at this adress from around 1842 until 1849 when he sold the perfume side of his business to X. Bazin so that he could concentrate on his mineral and soda waters .

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Matt, You don't see many marked bottoms but I don't know anyone who collects bottoms without tops. Give us a heads up when it goes on Ebay.

Story was funny not crude. Crude would have been on shoes when spoting pot lid or fell down in puddle.LoL

PhilaBottles

Reaction score
thanks for the reply Trog. im just curious why it would be printed so nice on the bottom of the base. and where is the lid!?!?!? is that particular lid rare? i thnk i need the set.

hey warren. it woulda been funnier. lotsa funny the other way.

[sm=lol.gif]

TROG

Reaction score
Hi Matt,

I am pretty sure this is the type of lid that goes with your base/ These also come in Black print.The adress may be different but there are several different adresses with the same basic lid design.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v600/trogg/rousselsred.jpg

Gidday

Reaction score
Trog, close but thats not the lid. The address on the base should match the lid, ie 114 Chestnut. Comes in red, black and purple. The red are a regular item on ebay. You should secure a mint one for $125 - 150 ish... sometimes with a good base.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles