Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

BOTLDGR03

Reaction score
I am a new member and would like to say hello to everyone on this forum. My name is Robert Cutchins and I live in a suburb of Dallas, Texas. The bottle bug hit me 17 years ago at the ripe old age of 18. My friend had a little collection he had found in Virginia. I picked each one up and looked them over, thought they were pretty fascinating. A short time later, me and the same friend were fishing in a local creek. The fish weren't biting, we were bored, and why we did what we did next I'll never know but am grateful. We sitting on a pebble creek bank and just started digging a hole with our feet, still sitting down. I turned up an ABM Carter ink. Then an ABM Sanford ink. I was astonished and very happy. I had just acquired my first 2 bottles in my collection which would eventually reach 10,000. I would walk that creek twice a week for a year. The best finds were a couple soda's from the twenties. Then I started hunting abandoned houses. I would crawl under the house and look every square inch. This is how I found my first blown bottles, a Febrilene Trademark and National Remedy Company. I remember it like it was yesterday. After extensive research any buying plenty of Bottle books and publications, I can find bottles almost everywhere I go. I have been selling on Ebay for 2 years under the same name botldgr03. I have stayed up late reading the posts on this forum and have really enjoyed them. The people on this site are very friendly, helpful, and knowledgable. I collect Texas drugstores ( DFW area and Ellis County, which is where I reside.) I have plenty of bottles I need some info on, and will post plenty of digging adventures. Yesterday, I went to a city 40 miles south of Dallas. My digging partner and I dug for about two hours. I ended up with a tiny BIM Bromo, a square sided snuff (pretty rare in this area), and a BIM Corsicana Bottling Works (missing top lip of crown). I also found a Union Standard cigar tab. My friend pulled out a nice BIM Joseph Cambell catsup from Camden, N.J. and a large ABM ring neck Bromo. Slim pickens. This dump looked like the bottles went through a shredder. Awesome pieces though. I have been pretty fortunate the past couple months. I dug a couple of rare Cokes ( one sold to a collector in Georgia for $500 and the other on Ebay for $588 ), two BIM Circle A's from Waco ( Dr. Pepper founders ), a few BIM poisons ( 2 - common ambers and a honey amber true Triangle w/ the blocks on the corners), plenty of medicines ( teal Dr. Pierce's Anuric Tablet's - which I traded with my digging partner for a Ft. Worth drugstore and a large, awesome Seminole Indian Medicine Company from Boone, Iowa which I sold on Ebay, just to name a couple). Even though Texas bottles aren't as old as other states', they are very collectible, bring a fair price, and some fairly rare. Unfortunately, a digger like myself, can make a rare bottle scarce, and a scarce bottle common, which makes the market value go down for certain bottles. The money is nice sometimes, but I mainly dig for the thrill and adventure. I can reduce a lot of stress from the era we are living in. Gas shooting through the roof, a gallon of milk which is now $4, and so on. It's great to get out and enjoy the wildlife and outdoors. Before long, there won't be any. I used to hunt 20 excellent spots regularly. Out of just those 20, only four remain not covered up by a new building, housing addition, or the NEW DALLAS STARS ARENA parking lot. That was an early, awesome, huge dump which I made several excellent finds. It just leaves you shaking you head saying " Why didn't I hit that joker more often than I did? or " I could only imagine the rare and possible one of a kind bottles and other treasures of historical value that they just covered up!" I heard the construction crews were selling them buy the bucket full. Enough jibber jabber. I could always use extra digging partners. Anybody close to DFW, or if you are just passing through, look me up and I can show you a digging good time. I would like to just thank the members who take time to help others. It definately makes this hobby grow and feel comforting to others who are as I have seen stated "newbies" or even someone with a question about a bottle. I also have seen other's who think they're from the planet Pluto and wisecracker's which could turn someone off from the hobby pretty quick. Gunsmoke from Abilene, hope you get over this way. If dig's are ever getting drab in your neck of the woods, come over this way for a Saturday or Sunday, and I will show you a place you won't wan't to leave. Gunther, the great, you're always lending a helping and knowledgable hand. Keep up the good work, I'm sure you've made lots of people's days. Same goes to Whiskey and too many others to list. Even telling people their not so great finds are great. I'm sure it brightens up their day and outlook toward this great hobby and will make them pursue it til they are finding bottles we all will envy. I hope to hear from many of you and HAPPY HUNTING & COLLECTING!!! Robert ( BOTLDGR03)

Andy4707

Reaction score
Hey Robert, sounds like you have alot of stories and alot of awsome bottles, hope to see them on the forum somewhere.

BOTLDGR03

Reaction score
Thanks Tony14 and ANDY4707. Wisconsin has some pretty awesome bottles. I love the nice Bitters bottles up there. There are plenty of awesome blobtop beers up there as well. Texas may have a bitter's bottle from San Antonio, Tx. and one that looks like a bitter's from a little town called Courtney, Tx. I sold a Dallas blob top that I found about a month ago. It was an amber slugplate embossed DALLAS BREWERY MALT WEIN DALLAS, TEXAS. It has the exact squat shape just like one of those McAvoy Brewery bottles from Chicago which is pretty close to you. I have a McAvoy Brewery Malt Marrow bottle. If anyone would like to see it or any bottle I have sold, Go to ebay. Do an advanced search for seller botldgr03. Then select completed items. I will be doing some digging probably next weekend. I will remember to take the digital with me, which I haven't ever done before. Never got to do any digging in Wisconsin. When I was an over the road trucker, I got to dig the old Grand Rapids, Michigan dump a few times. That place is loaded. I quit digging there when a homeless man made the pit his home. Literally. Hope to hear from more of you. HAPPY HUNTING & COLLECTING!!!!!

BOTLDGR03

Reaction score
Hey BA, sorry it took so long to reply. I had a busy weekend. Worked all day Saturday and my youngest son's 5th b-day party was Sunday. Pretty much all of my prized bottles have been sold over the years. When I was younger and naive, I would sell bottles at flea markets or in a yard sale to more experienced collectors and get $20 for bottles worth $500. You don't know how many rare sodas I let go not knowing their real worth. Guy's would come by looking at my collection, spend two hours licking their chops, and offer me little to nothing. Collectors whom I found out later that could buy $3000 bitters on a daily basis. Boy if ebay had been around during those times. Of course after painstaking research, I have learned from my mistakes. Anyhow, I was making money for something I dug for free and was happy about that. I have had boxes of bottles stolen from my car. My prized Oak Cliff Texas drugstore, which I have yet to see another was in one of those boxes. I have definitely had a few bumps and bruises along the way. Yes, I do collect Texas drugstores and medicines. I also have plenty of local sodas. I sold every single pontilled and hutch soda that was in my collection. If I find a local hutch tomorrow, ebay here I come. Drugstores I won't part with, but I would trade a double for one I don't have. I have probably 2000 - 3000 bottles right now, all nice blown, all types, but mostly common in the $5 - $50 range. I mainly dig bottles for other fellow collectors. I am in the process of elimination right now. I am narrowing my collection down to local drugstores only. This way they won't take up as much space, and it will keep my wife happy. Most of them are wrapped in newspaper collecting dust in my shed. I will be sending photo's of bottles I have no clue about soon. I see one collector who just posted that I could probably make real happy. O.T. Digger. Thanks for replying BA and I will try to post some of my bottles soon.

BOTLDGR03

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: BOTLDGR03

I am a new member and would like to say hello to everyone on this forum. My name is Robert Cutchins and I live in a suburb of Dallas, Texas. The bottle bug hit me 17 years ago at the ripe old age of 18. My friend had a little collection he had found in Virginia. I picked each one up and looked them over, thought they were pretty fascinating. A short time later, me and the same friend were fishing in a local creek. The fish weren't biting, we were bored, and why we did what we did next I'll never know but am grateful. We sitting on a pebble creek bank and just started digging a hole with our feet, still sitting down. I turned up an ABM Carter ink. Then an ABM Sanford ink. I was astonished and very happy. I had just acquired my first 2 bottles in my collection which would eventually reach 10,000. I would walk that creek twice a week for a year. The best finds were a couple soda's from the twenties. Then I started hunting abandoned houses. I would crawl under the house and look every square inch. This is how I found my first blown bottles, a Febrilene Trademark and National Remedy Company. I remember it like it was yesterday. After extensive research any buying plenty of Bottle books and publications, I can find bottles almost everywhere I go. I have been selling on Ebay for 2 years under the same name botldgr03. I have stayed up late reading the posts on this forum and have really enjoyed them. The people on this site are very friendly, helpful, and knowledgable. I collect Texas drugstores ( DFW area and Ellis County, which is where I reside.) I have plenty of bottles I need some info on, and will post plenty of digging adventures. Yesterday, I went to a city 40 miles south of Dallas. My digging partner and I dug for about two hours. I ended up with a tiny BIM Bromo, a square sided snuff (pretty rare in this area), and a BIM Corsicana Bottling Works (missing top lip of crown). I also found a Union Standard cigar tab. My friend pulled out a nice BIM Joseph Cambell catsup from Camden, N.J. and a large ABM ring neck Bromo. Slim pickens. This dump looked like the bottles went through a shredder. Awesome pieces though. I have been pretty fortunate the past couple months. I dug a couple of rare Cokes ( one sold to a collector in Georgia for $500 and the other on Ebay for $588 ), two BIM Circle A's from Waco ( Dr. Pepper founders ), a few BIM poisons ( 2 - common ambers and a honey amber true Triangle w/ the blocks on the corners), plenty of medicines ( teal Dr. Pierce's Anuric Tablet's - which I traded with my digging partner for a Ft. Worth drugstore and a large, awesome Seminole Indian Medicine Company from Boone, Iowa which I sold on Ebay, just to name a couple). Even though Texas bottles aren't as old as other states', they are very collectible, bring a fair price, and some fairly rare. Unfortunately, a digger like myself, can make a rare bottle scarce, and a scarce bottle common, which makes the market value go down for certain bottles. The money is nice sometimes, but I mainly dig for the thrill and adventure. I can reduce a lot of stress from the era we are living in. Gas shooting through the roof, a gallon of milk which is now $4, and so on. It's great to get out and enjoy the wildlife and outdoors. Before long, there won't be any. I used to hunt 20 excellent spots regularly. Out of just those 20, only four remain not covered up by a new building, housing addition, or the NEW DALLAS STARS ARENA parking lot. That was an early, awesome, huge dump which I made several excellent finds. It just leaves you shaking you head saying " Why didn't I hit that joker more often than I did? or " I could only imagine the rare and possible one of a kind bottles and other treasures of historical value that they just covered up!" I heard the construction crews were selling them buy the bucket full. Enough jibber jabber. I could always use extra digging partners. Anybody close to DFW, or if you are just passing through, look me up and I can show you a digging good time. I would like to just thank the members who take time to help others. It definately makes this hobby grow and feel comforting to others who are as I have seen stated "newbies" or even someone with a question about a bottle. I also have seen other's who think they're from the planet Pluto and wisecracker's which could turn someone off from the hobby pretty quick. Gunsmoke from Abilene, hope you get over this way. If dig's are ever getting drab in your neck of the woods, come over this way for a Saturday or Sunday, and I will show you a place you won't wan't to leave. Gunther, the great, you're always lending a helping and knowledgable hand. Keep up the good work, I'm sure you've made lots of people's days. Same goes to Whiskey and too many others to list. Even telling people their not so great finds are great. I'm sure it brightens up their day and outlook toward this great hobby and will make them pursue it til they are finding bottles we all will envy. I hope to hear from many of you and HAPPY HUNTING & COLLECTING!!! Robert ( BOTLDGR03)

BOTLDGR03

Reaction score
Gidday mate! Thanks for your reply. Many good rubbish pits downunder with some down right beautiful bottles and paste lids and crocks. Found half of a rare lid in the dump I've been working for ten years, yes ten years and still finding 20-30 keepers a day, 5 bennington and old good marbles each time, and several good coins, fobs, and even a civil war Georgia seal button. This place is like a treasure hunter's paradise. It's bottles, metal detecting, and relics all in one. The only problem is a sweaty day in there and your clothes will be stained for good. Thanks again IRISH and may many excellent bottles come your way!!! Disregard the message in front of this one. This is what I originally meant to write. Thanks to all.

O.T. digger

Reaction score
It sounds like you have some pretty good diggin spots I would kill for just one of the bottle you found I stated bottle collecting about a year ago and have been stuck to it since I'm 17 now, I started on the creek in fact I went there today, I never find much I live in kingfisher Oklahoma do you ever find any oklahoma bottles, I just went down to Texas to my cousins ranch by Spearmin, theres a old stone house down there but all of the bottle have been collected from that spot.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bobbinc4