~NEW STORE~

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

slag pile digger

Reaction score
At first I was saying"what the %$#@ is he talking about 'but on further inspection they do look like they were connected at one time..never saw anything like that before....always learning..neat stuff..thanks.
ORIGINAL: epackage

I say definetly a birdswing that has broken off along the way, would have been even better to have it attached all the way across...

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Apparently, it's called a SPIKE ..at least in Ireland:

..the following is from HERE

Defects are classified as

Critical, those that are hazardous to the user and those that make the container completely unusable.
Major, those that materially reduce the usability of the container or its contents
Minor, those that do not affect the usability of the container, but detract from its appearance or acceptability to the customer.

Critical Defects in Glass Bottles or Containers

Stuck Plug. A piece of glass, usually very sharp, projecting inwards just inside the neck bore
Overpress. Is a defect where a small ridge of glass has been formed on the sealing surface of the finish
Split. An open crack starting at the top of the finish and extending downward.
Check. A small, shallow surface crack, usually at the bore of the container
Freaks. Odd shapes and conditions that render the container completely unusable. Bent or cocked necks are a common defect of this type.
Poor Distribution. Thin shoulder, slug neck, choke neck, heavy bottom are terms used to describe the uneven distribution of glass.
Soft Blister. A thin blister, usually found on or near the sealing surface. It can however show up anywhere on the glass container.
Choked Bore. Here excess of glass has been distributed to the inside of the finish or opening
Cracks. Partial fractures, usually found in the heel area.
Pinhole. Any opening causing leakage. It occurs most often in bottles with pointed corners.
Filament. A hair-like string inside the bottle.
Spike. Spikes are glass projections inside the bottle.
Bird Swing. Is a glass thread joining the two walls of the container

epackage

Reaction score
There's a nice one in this mason jar Mike...[;)]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Unique-Clear-Cobalt-Bird-Swing-Kerr-Self-Sealing-Mason-Quart-/300633526875?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45ff27925b

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: cyberdigger

Apparently, it's called a SPIKE ..at least in Ireland:
i would think two "spikes" at the same elevation and across from each other could also have been a "bird swing" at one time that didn't make it thru the handling of the bottle at some point...

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: slag pile digger

D437B0205EA245E8BE89F6D1A51CBC2B.jpg
The pair of spikes appear in direct correlation to one another in this pic...if I'm seeing the one on the other side correctly...[:-]

edndlm

Reaction score
Nice bottles Mike ! You solved a mystery for me on the G. List ! I have one that doesn't say Honesdale also ! I had a feeling it was local so I ratholed it waiting for some information . Glad your finding stuff !

epackage

Reaction score
I wonder if the same G. List went on to the Harlem Bottling Co. ???

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harlem-Bottling-Co-New-York-G-List-Prop-Nice-Applied-Blob-Top-Bottle-/260938665392?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc1280db0

RED Matthews

Reaction score
So epackage and cyberdigger; I just thought that I would explain that the birdswing is created when the parison collapses enough so some point on two sides touches and then the final blow pulls them apart and stretches the swing of glass. A spike is caused in the Press and Blow process when the I-62 plunger is too hot and the glass sticks to the baffle valve or baffle cavity in the bottom of the jar and lifts a spike up internally off the bottom of a jar to a point.

The big problem both of these defects is the possibility of the product being put in the contents could break the swing or spike and be ingested by some customer. RED Matthews

epackage

Reaction score
Thanks as always RED for your knowledge on all things bottle, I would hate to think I'm drinking bits of glass with my soda, beer or water.....Jim

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdtivey