New to collecting Glass Bottles. Question about Bottle Cleaner..

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

DeepDown

Reaction score
I only been collecting the old glass stuff & bottles for about 1 month... But a collector of old neat thing in general for a long time.. When we find something old or Neat old.. we bring it home... Usually look it up online... Last Fall, we found an Old Large item... and when I looked it up online (didn't see anyone on ebay with one... But found companies selling them)... It Called a Bottle cleaner... Forgot the Brand name... And this item is BIG and buried in my garage still, with many other big things in front of it.... So can't show a picture of it... Atleast not now... Maybe one day.. when feel like cleaning garage out. Which need to do... Any ways... Just wondering if people use these still... Is it really for Bottles? Or know what they use it for... My description of it.... It is Called bottle cleaning station (metal stamp, says it too)... all thick steel & brass, it Like a large wrap around round sink with drain... You hook Hot & cold water to lines.... It Looks Very similar to the old large wash you wash hands sink that many people can stand around and you step on pedal water comes out all around for everyone... But this has large hoses hangs off the top with a like horse hair brush attached to it with water coming out the center.... you step on the bottom petals to turn water on and off... it Like the wash your hand stations - except it has hoses and brushes attached to it.... But a similar look. Do people even use these anymore - for cleaning bottles? I Guesses, it was from the days when Glass bottles was used for everything... and you wash the bottles to re-use them - bottles that wasn't coming out of the ground... It like commercial bottle washer station.. So now I wondering if it any good for now days Bottle cleaning? Other than just washing off the dirt.. Does anyone still use these? --- Does anyone remember these? or know what I talking about... I just looking at bottles... Liking them now... New to this... and thinking to myself... Hey, I got a Bottle cleaning station buried in the garage... I wonder if they work good for cleaning bottles or if anyone uses them.. Or am I just saving it as a part of history of the past - the days they did use them... Or is it just called a Bottle cleaning station and really t meant for something else... I just know I have one...

ScottBSA

Reaction score
Hi,From your description, it sounds like a commercial bottle washer from a small soda works. Hunt around for a manufacturer and a date on it. It sounds like a cool item. It has to have value to someone. Thanks for sharing. Scott

TJSJHART

Reaction score
I BELIEVE SCOT HAS IT CORRECT .. I REMEMBER SEEIN ONE A LONG TIME AGO AT A BOTTLING PLANT WE WENT TO AS CUB SCOUTS IN CINCY.

DeepDown

Reaction score
It very well could be on those... Really looks industrial. If Hospitals used them. That be cool... Fitting it in garage next to old hospital gurneys I have.. I need to sell them as stage props for someone making a haunted house.. now, 1 step closer to making a 40's, 50's hospital..lol

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello Deep Down; I have posted reference to this book before, but I think everyone can learn about bottle collecting from this book. "ANTIQUE TRADER BOTTLES - Identification & Price Guide" by Michael Polak. 7th edition. I have had three of his books over 77 years of collecting and there is a lot to learn in his books. If you email me, I can forward my information for newbie collectors. You can also pick up some help from my homepage - shown below. I try to post a lot of things in this forum, where I think it might help people with their bottle questions. RED Matthews <bottlemysteries@yahoo.com>

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Deep Down, I went to review my email and didn't find any message from you. I am here to help any bottle collector with information, from the newbie collectors to people that have collected for several years. I have worked in the glass making industry for many years, and traveled the world to sell the industry into using special alloy metals for all the metal parts that are involved in making glass items. After 77 years of collecting and working in the industry, I am still learning about how the early hand made glass items were made. My latest involvement has been dealing with the identity and marks of glass bottles turned in the molds, which were coated with a paste.This was done to reduce the mold seam lines on the product. It worked to some extent, but I am just trying to learn more about how they did it 0 and so I am trying to find some more glass items to study the marks. I have apothecary jars, food storage jars, and bottles that tell me it was used in their making. Hopefully this will be covered in a homepage blog soon. RED Matthews

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClaireS