New to the forum

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

chisler

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum and looking for some input. I'd like to get some opinions on how people feel about reproductions and new bottle designs. I'm an engraver by trade. My father and I engraved 99% of the plates used to make Clevengers bottles from the time Jim Travis took over in 1966. We also did work for Ed Johnson (Millville Art Glass/ Holly City Bottle). Since both companys are no longer in existence and unfortunately Jim and Ed are no longer with us, and my father has retired from the trade, I've started my own business (Holly City Art Glass) in an effort to fill a void left by these gentlemen. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

KentOhio

Reaction score
As long as everything you make is clearly marked with a date and initials or a name, I think whatever you make will eventually be collectible. A couple years ago on ebay I remember seeing Clevenger bottles being sold along with the slug plates that made them. That was interesting.

JGUIS

Reaction score
Hi chisler, welcome to the forums. I don't really have an opinion on reproduction anything, as long as it's never marketed as original or antique. I say if there's a market for something, and you have the ability to produce it, kaching to ya. It's the ones that are produced to copy the original, with no marks to properly identify them as repros, like alot of the Mexican and Asian ones.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
What part of the molds actually needed engraved? I've always thought of engraving as more of a printing art than something used in glass making.

chisler

Reaction score
Thanks for the replying to my post. I can assure everyone that I have no intentions of reproducing any bottles as originals. My credibility is most important to me. As for the engraving, if you look closely, alot of the bottles made by Clevenger, especially when they are done as commemorative or fund raisers, you will see a line around the logo or picture. That is a plate, usually 3 1/2" or 5" in diameter, depending on the size and design of the mold. That picture was drawn, then cut by hand using a hammer and chisels. The plate is inserted in the pocket of the mold and then blown. If you want to get a better idea of what I am talking about, please go to my web site at www.hollycityartglass.com. Thanks again.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Hey, welcome.
A hammer and chisle to what kind of metal? It sounds like a challenge.I'd have thought rotary tools.
As for a problem I don't consider commemoratives reproductions anyway. I think there a nice touch to whatever historic date, place, person etc. I wouldn't mint my own 100 years after I'm gone. I should pre-order and save the family inheritance.
I don't suppose you'd remember cutting a plates for the Wellesley Mass centennial in 1981. The Wellesley historical Society took a wild guess at parepoint but really didn't know for sure. Thanks

chisler

Reaction score
Being new to this forum, I'm not really sure how to reply to everyone at once. Therefore I will take answer one question at a time.
KentOhio- I remember seeing someone selling the slug plate, what I call an insert, on EBAY. I have many, including those that were used to make cup plates. I thought about doing that, including signing the actual bottle or plates, as I have many slugplates, however at this time I won't do that.

saphireblue

Reaction score
Hey chis its me Jake how ya doing? Hows the digging been going lately? I was gonna go out today but we got a blizzard.

chisler

Reaction score
lobeycat: I wouldn't consider making a copy of an antique bottle and trying to sell it as such. That would be unethical. The only thing I do with the slug plates (inserts) that I have, is use them to make suncatchers. Of the plates I use to make suncatchers, I engrave my initials on the plates that are my original designs. Here is some history on the Clevenger, Millville Art Glass/Holly City Bottle, and Wheaton Glass bottles, cup plates and sun catchers. You see, I bought the entire lot of plates from Ed Johnsons estate because I know the work that went into each plate, and it broke my heart to think that if I, or someone else didn't buy the plates, they may have been sold as scrap. The people that cut those plates were, me (to a lesser extent), my father (Lew), and a talented gentleman named cliffy clifton. They were done for an average of $35 dollars a plate. My father is retired and refuses to cut the plates and Cliffy has unfortunately passed away. The story behind the blood and sweat that my father and Cliffy shed, and the amount that they were paid for it, will be left for another time. However, when I tell you that people should appreciate the product that was produced, please believe that I am serious. This is why knowlegeble people pay what they do for antiques. Sorry for getting on my soap box. hope this rant was somewhat informative to some of you.

chisler

Reaction score
Hey Jake: Sorry, you must have me mixed up with someone else. I haven't quite gotten into the digging portion of glass collecting yet.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen