New to the forum

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

chisler

Reaction score
Cowseatmaize: The type iron that molds are made of is cast iron. Most anything else is to hard or brittle and peels rather then chips, as cast iron does, which dulls the chisel. Some people use graphite, however it is harder to get real fine detail in your picture, it is much dirtier, and being prone to wear, it usually doesn't last as long.
I can't say I remember myself or my father cutting the Wellsly Mass. centennial plate, but I will go through my drawings and see if I can find it. I've cut quite a few plates for Pairpoint, but mostly for the Violin Collectors and perhaps a few other club or historical society's.

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Jim, Welcome to the web site. Just checked out your web site. Some good info and interesting art there. Love the automotive sun catchers. I was wondering how many different cars do you do on sun catchers and what kind of time frame there is from order to delevery.

Do you do custom info on them? I guess I have alot more questions about them then I thought.

glass man

Reaction score
WELCOME! I have a pretty green e.g. booze cabin,has a polished pontil with a hard to see c.b. on bottom.ALSO has a C.B under the door on the front of the bottle.Seems I read this bottle was made in 1965. IS this right? ANYWAY I love this bottle because some one took the time and effort to make this the good old way ,with great craftman ship!

earlyglass

Reaction score
Hi Chisler,

Welcome to the forum... I was just glancing through your post. It seems like the biggest concern for most collectors is the ethical one. Reproductions created in a manner that make them distinguishable from the originals without the ability to alter is is preferred. Obviously this has been going on since the turn of the century, and the Clevenger Brothers had a very long run at it. There have been many craftsman such as Emil Larson who created adaptations and variations of original works... now his own works are highly collectible, as they should be. Applying a sticker or etching initials on an exact copy does not work, and will only create chaos for the hobby. It sounds like you understand this. I'm sure there is an opportunity to continue to create commemorative flasks and bottles for events, display, clubs, etc. Glasshouses such as Dog River create some wonderful products, but will end causing some conflicts for the bottle hobby. These products look like the originals, and are difficult to distinguish even by a seasoned collector. Image a new collector's dismay when they spend $750 for a fake USA hospital water bottle! That "new" collector will find another hobby for sure.

Well, good luck in your endeavors, and thanks for reaching out for input from the bottle community!

Mike

chisler

Reaction score
Hey Cap: Thanks for taking a look at my site. To answer your question, I have 4 car plates; a 1909 Packard, 1953 and 1935 Corvette, and 1933 Duesenberg. If you were to order a new plate and suncatchers, it is about a 3 week turnaround. This being a bottle forum, I guess it would be best if you e-mail or give me a call at the info on my website.
Thanks, Jim

chisler

Reaction score
Glass Man: On the subject of the cabin mold, I wish I could give an exact time period of when the cabin was done. The time period sounds right, but I couldn't give you an exact year. Harry Bearings who sells alot of Clevengers glass at his http://www.sweetdreamscreations.net website might be a better person to ask.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen