New to the forum

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Maine woods Digger 2

Reaction score

Hello people. I am new to the form. I found this great bottle In the the woods behind my house. I do think it is a perfume bottle. I'm wondering how old it is ? it has a light shade of purple, it is a very heavy glass. And the seams stop at the shoulder. Here is a picture i took "myself"[8D]

Sq47366.jpg

Attachments

• Sq47366.jpg
    Sq47366.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 87

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Welcome, Kevin . . .

Here is a link to a post last year about a Riker-Hegeman Drugstore bottle. IIRC, Riker had a history in the drugstore business before Hegeman came along. You can do a web-search for "riker drugstore new york" and find some results.

While "Riker" is a relatively-common name, it may be that Riker Drugstores used your bottle for prescriptions. Or, Riker may have sold its own line of cosmetics, if that is what the bottle contained.

It's interesting to note that this bottle appears to be blown in a proprietary mold, a mold owned by Riker, apparently. That indicates a prosperous business with considerable sales. Many small businesses during this period used a bottle-mold belonging to the glassworks into which a separate "slug plate" was inserted to produce an embossment. For smaller buyers, it was cheaper to buy a slug plate than to buy the custom mold.

https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/m_1116/mpage_1/key_riker,hegeman/anchor/tm.htm#1134

-------------Harry Pristis

deepwoods

Reaction score
Kevin - Nice little find. Im wondering if it could be a Rikers Pharmacy N.Y product. Get a potato rake and do some scrapeing around back there-there could be a nice ole submerged dump.

Kim

Reaction score
"HI Kevin"
Welcome to the forum, you have come to right place. I was only ever interested in the contents of a bottle. Since joining this forum I have learnt so much about the bottles and it is loads of fun. [:D].
Regards Kim

Maine woods Digger 2

Reaction score
Hey kim im really new and i havnt learned all the little things of this site yet, thank you for the courage and the welcome I do feel very welcomed Im glad you wrote me and told me a little bit about your self its nice to meet you I hope to keep in touch with you My uncle norm miller says ur a pretty smart girl and i could learn alot from you ..... one more time thanx for the welcome KIM.... !~!~!

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Hi Kim, Ahem....Just for the record I did not refer to you as a pretty smart girl![&:] When I went to bed last night my nephew was still on the computer; I read through some of his posts this morning and I think he's trying to get me in a stink, again![8D] I would normally send this in a PM, but I fear if I don't say this here, you all will think I'm a neanderthal chauvanist![:D]

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mistymad28