newbie here? PICS

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Reaction score
I recently found about 100 old bottles. Some with raised lettering. All with glass stoppers. As far as I can tell they are from the early 1900's and earlier. Some are marked pat. March 25 1879 Whitall-Tatum Co.
My question is how to clean them without breaking/ruining them. And how to get some of the glass stoppers out that are stuck. I have soaked them in warm tap water and then putting cold water on the stopper and that got most of them loose.
My final question is how to aquire a tumbler or how to build one. I am new to the antique bottle world so I would appreciate any feedback!! Thanks In Advance!
Casey H.
SW MI

Ec89646.jpg

Attachments

• Ec89646.jpg
    Ec89646.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 129
Reaction score
RE: old chemist bottles*pic added

here is another picture its most of my bottles

Rp42116.jpg

Attachments

• Rp42116.jpg
    Rp42116.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 131

drjhostetters

Reaction score
RE: old chemist bottles*pic added

Hey Duke...
Welcome to the forum...nice collection of bottles...look mostly like meds and apocrophy(sp.) bottles...but I was told recently that each glass stopper is ground to fit the particular bottle it was in....??? You may have decreased the value of your bottles by mixing them up...am I right fellow forum members? (Please correct me if I'm wrong in my observation.)
And be careful if they have any contents...age may have caused a chemical reaction that could be fatal...caution is advised...

Happy hunting...

The Doc...[X(]

Reaction score
Hey Doc
Thanks for the info
how should I go about cleaning them.
Cause top openings are so small,help anyone.

And the stoppers I marked the ones that were in the bottles the other ones were just laying in a box so yhat might take awhile to match them up hehe.

Should I buy a tumbler?

Anyone from SW MI.
THE Duke

diggerjeff

Reaction score
unless those bottles came from the ground there would be no reason to tumble. being that they have strong embossing, ground stoppers ( which buy the way each stopper is individually fitted to a certian bottle, hope you didnt mix yours up!) and no doubt some are acid etched . tumbling would do more harm than good i think! try some strong lime scale removers or CLR on one and play with that for a while.

WhiteLighting

Reaction score
LOve the bottles "I collect mainly med/cure" bottles,and these ones you have I would say came from a old Pharmacy........the ones that are acid eteched do not tumble!!!!!!!!
Awsome!!! The stoppers are ascool,,,,
Where did you find these>,,,,,,u need more apothacary types?..

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mistymad28