Newbie seeks mentor

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Mjski

Reaction score
I'm new to bottle collecting and am interested in getting a bit of experience in finding bottles. I live on the Virginia Peninsula, in the Williamsburg area. Is there anyone in my area who would allow a newbie to tag along and assist in some small way? I worked as a gardener for fifteen years, so I am no stranger to digging in the dirt, although we excavated deep holes with a backhoe!

Thanks!

KentOhio

Reaction score
Have you checked to see if there are any bottle clubs in your area? My advice would be to start attending club meetings, if possible.

Mjski

Reaction score
There is a bottle club in Richmond; however, I work the night shift and cannot attend meetings even if I wanted to! They sponsor a bottle show in October that I plan to attend. In the meantime, I still would like to hook up with diggers in my area in order to learn more about the hobby.

Flaschenjager

Reaction score
Hi Mjski and Welcome to Antique-Bottles.Net and the forum -
I'm the new editor of The Digger, the newsletter of the RABCA - Richmond Area Bottle Collectors Assoc. and would love to help you the best I can. The first thing you can do locally is try to make it to some of the club functions other than meetings, since you cannot make those. Our picnic is on June 18 and is very open to guests. This is a great way to meet and talk to other diggers in our rapidly growing club. This picnic will also feature a bottle auction, raffle and more. If you send me a private message with your snail mail address, I can send you a sample and upcoming newsletter from the RABCA. We have new members from your area, but I'm not sure if they will be at the picnic. We also have members from there that know a whole bunch about your area finds. Myself, I dig quite often, but have been taking a break for a while to catch up on things. We were digging almost every other day this winter.

Give us a try when you can -

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
louieb583