NO TV SHOWS ON DIGGING

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

gotthefever

Reaction score
The last thing we need is another reality television show opening up our world,let me explain. What percent of people that saw such a show would be interested in bottle collecting for more than the money. What do you think would happen if joe public saw an episode with someone digging up a sheldons or a coups sasparilla and the host telling everyone how much it was worth? of course they would inflate the price even more for the "reality drama".It would indeed become a money driven fad, people would think their privy's are safes full of gold and it would ruin it for those that have quietly enjoyed our strange little edge of the antique world for decades,our world is special lets keep it that way. Take a look at Ebay,how many bottle shows have you been to recently and got a great buy??? not me! I constantly see bottles way overpriced and always hear the same answer"well one on Ebay went for that much" they don't take into consideration that the show is in Syracuse Ny and that someone paying top dollar for a piece with the click of a mouse could be a lawyer in San Fransisco. So don't bring your bottles to the show in syracuse, sell them on Ebay or go to a San Fran show. I"m not even gonna get into BUY It Now or Overpay now! I went to the Newhouse school at Syracuse University so I know a bit how the media works,they will portray bottle collectors and diggers in only a way that benefits them and their ratings which could not be a good thing for any of us. I started collecting bottles many years ago because I enjoy the hunt, the dig,the beautiful glass,history,people. Lets not ruin it so some fresh out of grad school film student can make a buck. The type of people that we want in our freakish little group will find us on their own.

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
It took a digger show to bring you out of the wood work to make a post?
If so then it served some purpose for good.
Welcome to the forum.
Post some bottle photos.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, David..!

...what shows? I haven't run across any on my tube.. been too busy digging, cleaning, sorting, and selling to watch TV.. I suppose the occasional clicker-wielding couch potato might get a spark of inspiration and as soon as their next welfare check clears they'll buy a shovel and a pair of leather gloves, and get busy robbing you and all of us of the remaining permissions.. well I'm not too worried and none of us should be.. this type of spoon-fed entertainment actually works the other way round, it keeps the masses kinda hypnotized, in a sorta comatose state, all they need to do is wait until the next episode and make sure there's enough beer and potato chips in the house.. TV doesn't inspire people, it zombifies them.. turn off your set and go throw some dirt..!

MichaelFla

Reaction score
My cousin watched one of these shows. He knows I am a collector and now he wants me to take him digging. He is expecting to get $14K out of his first dig [:-]. Apparently using a GPR makes it much easier to find high value items and never find a dry hole? Seems a bit unrealistic to me, but to those uninitiated it might seem logical I guess.

OsiaBoyce

Reaction score
Soooooo ya think digger shows are bad because they inflate the price. Then you say eBay causes an unjust and disproportionate prices.

How about books and priceguides.......should they be done away w/ also?

Just wondering, cause everyone is down on TV digging and wanting to keep this bottle digging thing to themselves.........like they came up with the idea.

MichaelFla

Reaction score
No, not that they inflate the price. There are certainly digs that could value upwards of $10K. However, these digs are few and far between for the average digger. I simply believe that the show should be more representative of what an 'average' dig is. The days when all they find are a dozen or so bottles valued at $50 - $100. Or a couple digs from holes that have been dipped. In this way, people will get the idea that not every piece of land is sitting on top of a gold mine.

surfaceone

Reaction score
Perhaps a nostalgic, and disgruntled Big Time Wraslin fan... [8D]

So few of our first posters take off on such a rant. I wanna see this "coups sasparilla" just for a touch of that ole "reality drama."

Solaray-Sarsaparilla-Root-076280015409.jpg

splante

Reaction score
Iam not worried about inflating the price, its getting a run on SOME people with metal detectors and shovels running all over towns digging and digging and leaving a mess behind ,then the no tresspassing sign start showing up everywhere. Responsiable digging is ok, permission and or filling in holes, ect..its the idiots these shows bring out of the woodwork Iam worried about.......and yes I want all the spots for myself

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
.TheNYBittersCollector.