old maps?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

lacolobiger

Reaction score
I'm just getting into digging and a sortof friend of mine has some old 1886 maps of our town. He's pretty tight lipped about how he came about them. I'v tried to shearch on the web , but i'm not sure what the maps are called. I get maps to come up but none that have the houses and outbuilding on them. if any one wants to lend a hand that "d be great. heres a picture of what i'm looking for.

diggerjeff

Reaction score
they are called sanborn fire insurance co maps. you can usually get tem at your local library. my library had them on microfilm ,and they had a macine that made paper copys . i use mine all the time . ask the library if they have any other early maps. i found several others for my town ,some back to 1858.

lacolobiger

Reaction score
heres the picture! or is it?

Fd92295.jpg

lacolobiger

Reaction score
obviously that wasnt the right picture-here I go again- oh hell ill try onother time thats what my wife is good at:) Any way thanks diggerjef I'll try that . I'm sure glad I found this site. Ya'lluv been great!!!!!

cb0023

Reaction score
hi and welcome to bottle collecting. as far as the maps go, like digger said, the sanborn fire maps are the way to go. i have found that most local branch librarys will direct you to the main "county" library. if you dont have time to hit the library try ebay. i came across a seller who had just about every location available but there were only a few listed on ebay so make sure you ask if they have others.

also dont hesitate to ask the older folk in your town. they usually love to talk about the old days and will know the whereabouts of the old dumps and such. i was in home depot yesterday and an older gentleman was working and asked me if i need help. we got to talking and sure enough he lived here all his life and knew some good spots to try.

also this is for everyone trying to find where that old road goes. this is a link for a satellite picture website.
http://terraserver.microsoft.com

good luck..

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
If your in the Northeast, try this site.

http://docs.unh.edu/nhtopos/nhtopos.htm

The topographicals are great and some of these, depending on the town, are from the mid to late 1800's. Some from the 1930's and 40's too but what can you do.

Other schools may have something similar, I only looked for where I am.

lacolobiger

Reaction score
spam

spam is my pet peeve and it feeds off me!If I'm not quick enough:)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aarhar75