Other Than Bottles stories

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Bottles r LEET

Reaction score
Here are a couple neat finds that I have turned up that I thought were story-worthy.

The first item is the belt buckle. This buckle is very special to me. I dug this buckle in the house that my Grandmother (who passed away a few years ago) grew up. That means that there is a very likely possibility that the buckle belonged to my great grandfather.

The second item is a Captain Midnight decoder. Captain Midnight was a radio show in the 1940s. It most likely came out of a cereal box.

The last item is very strange. It is a bullet. During cleaning out the house where I found some bottles, there was a jar with them. It was full of misc. things, nails, screws, etc. I went through it. I did find a newer badge which I gave to the lady we were doing this for. (Her father lived in the house, but we own it) It probably probably belonged to her father. I took home the jar and dumped everything out slowly. Lots of nails and screws and other rubbish. As I neared the bottom, it came out. It was a bullet. And it had been fired. It has some red on it, it's not blood, it has a melted crayon next to it. But to imagine what it hit...

Thanks for looking.[:)]

665E9AFC66B340228A1259075D4B40E7.gif

Attachments

• 665E9AFC66B340228A1259075D4B40E7.gif
    665E9AFC66B340228A1259075D4B40E7.gif
    110.7 KB · Views: 68

Dugout

Reaction score
Ryan get out the old family photos. Maybe you can find your buckle in a picture. Cool finds!

TJSJHART

Reaction score
THE BULLET LOOKS TO BE FROM THE CIVIL WAR....IT MAY HAVE BEEN KEPT FROM A BATTLE WOUND. KIND OF A GROSS IDEA ,,,,BUT

epackage

Reaction score
STUPENDOUS if the buckle was in the family...Jim

ironmountain

Reaction score
The bullet looks to be more of an early Muzzle Loader bullet...I haven't seen a CW era bullet with the vertical ribbing on it...

MIdigger

Reaction score
The grooves are called a cannelure. Its there for the brass edge of a casing to crimp the bullet into place so it doesnt move if jostled or from recoil in a repeater to have it come loose and jam the firearm.

It appears to be a .38 caliber round nose(hard to judge, but my guess) it could be a 44 or 45 but doesnt look that big. Civil war lead had crimping grooves, but Ive not seen the cannelure (which looks like reeding on the edge of a quarter) on those bullets.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bricri2