Out prospecting

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Andyf

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been out all day checking a number of old farms in the forests near here. The area used to be sheep farms, but in the 1880's they bought the whole area to build resevoirs to feed Manchester (England). to avoid farms in the catchment area polluting the water, they evicted everyone and demolished the buildings and forested the area.

I mapped out 7 sites, and have walked about 8 miles today to visit them. Some are a LONG way from any roads... Most were too overgrown to locate the dumps, or were disrupted by logging trails, but at the very last one I found a dump. A quick dig with a folding shovel revealed some good shards. Wish me luck, I'm going back tomorrow for a full dig...[:D]

Some of these shards I found are late 18th century...

Ay73664.jpg

jim in wmass

Reaction score
Hi Andy,

Definately some real old stuff there. I hope you find some whole goodies...

Jim

Andyf

Reaction score
Well, my "big dig" got shortened by blizzarads and snow, I got half an hours digging done before retreating to the car. Found a couple of things, nothing very special yet, but this looks like a promising dig to return to...

Left to right are: "Table Spoons" graduated bottle, a square bottle embossed "Ling Osmond & sons, Grimsby", a mineral water called "All In One", though it may be some kind of cure, and a neat saltglaze pot...

Us52696.jpg

Attachments

• Us52696.jpg
    Us52696.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 79

Andyf

Reaction score
Hooray! it's the weekend tomorrow.

I'm gonna be back at this dump, hopefully without snow this time... [:)]

I just love digging....

crkgrl

Reaction score
Great finds, Andy. I love the 18-19th century pottery. Collect lots of shards and keep in one place. Like little pieces of gold from the past.

monsterdigger

Reaction score
nice finds, the one with the internal threads was an english design, mid to late 1800's i believe. I have a book i read that in, hope it helps alittle..........Jake

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amandaward