owens bottle ?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

rwe79405

Reaction score
i have a small perfume bottle-about 3 inches tall-that i need help with-sorry no pic my cam is broke-
the bottom has the owens name written on it but it also has the owens diamond and circle...it has the #8 to the left and #7 to the right but nothing else..looked on a couple of makers marks sites and couldnt find anything about bottles with the name and mark..
also it has the the number 3 1/2 on the top of the back with the numbers 3 2 1 3 running down the left back and 10 and 5 running down the right back..the front has nothing on it though i am assuming it had a paper label...

any help is appreciated...

madman

Reaction score
hey rwe that bottle dates to the mid to late forties, with the owens name on the base most bottles i see with this mark are pharmacy bottles, you say yours is a perfume interesting mike

rwe79405

Reaction score
hey mike it might have been a medicine bottle since it does have a small cc on the bottom right of the back but i took the lid off and it had a VERY strong perfume cologne smell

ronvae

Reaction score
The maker's mark list I printed off from myinsulators.com says the spelled-out name was used by Owens-Illinois 1929-to date, but was also used occasionally by the Owens Bottle Co. (1903-1929), a predecessor of Owens-Illinois.

Also, under the Owen-Illinois diamond mark, it says usually the number on the right of the diamond is a date code.

madman

Reaction score
does it have a o in a square on the base?

madman

Reaction score
the earliest owens bottles ive found, have an o in a square on the base, ive seen bottles with just an o, but im not sure if its owens, early dating of owens bottles is sketchy yea your right about your bottle because owens merged with the illinois glass co in 1929 mike

madman

Reaction score
woops wrong again, got it this time, if theres an o in a diamond on the base of that bottle its after 1929 any way those cc bottles are extremely common unless embossed mike

David E

Reaction score
HI, rwe The O in a square is Owens 1911 to 1929
The Diamond and circle is Left side month right side year (1929 to 1954)bottom mold number
Duraglas in script since 1940
Duraglas in print since 1963

Dave

madman

Reaction score
hey david e,what mark was used before 1911, owen was in business since 1903? what mark was used then madman

David E

Reaction score
Hi madman the only thing I can find in two books id O for owens but they give no date. I did find this from the "dating your bottles" on a web site.
O in a square..........Owens Bottle Company, Toledo OH (1903-1929), also Fairmont, WV; Clarksburg, WV, and other plant locations. Owens Bottle Co. merged with the Illinois Glass Company of Alton, IL in 1929 to form the Owens-Illinois Glass Company. (Julian Toulouse stated this mark was first used in 1911, but according to U.S. Patent & Trademark Office data, Owens claimed first use was not until 1919).
Dave

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agrounds1