Patent Dec. 19, 1871 -- CD?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

surfaceone

Reaction score
a03a10d7.jpg

This was the first insulator that I ever found. I was glad to dig it from outside the back door of an old tavern. I'm assuming Hemingray made. It's a smaller size, and has a "4" on the backside. The photos look larger than life.

Would one of you, versed in the glass of the wire, tell me more, please?

b109575e.jpg

93dfb30d.jpg

botlguy

Reaction score
I'm quite sure it's a CD 124.2, worth at least $100 if Very Near Mint as "They" say. (In other words, VERY little damage.) That's a nice find, value goes way up for color. Now isn't that a strange situation? Who'da thunk it.[;)][;)]

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: botlguy

I'm quite sure it's a CD 124.2
You know your stuff Jim... http://www.hemingray.info/database/detail.php?cd=124.2

surfaceone

Reaction score

Hey Jim,

Thanks for the quick good news. I like it all the more, now. So, it is a Hemingray? It's got a coupla small dings on the outside of the skirt, and a rough patch as seen at 1 o'clock on the base view, but that's it for dingage. It is lighter in color at the base and darker towards the dome. Are these also called "ponies"?

How were they used?

Insulator4.jpg

Brains

Reaction score
wowie zowie a 12X.XX whatever it is...nice oldie and it is a hemingray.
Would have been used just like any other old pin=type insulator eh?

botlguy

Reaction score
Yes, it would be considered a "Pony", just a term for smaller insulators. It would be a Telegraph insulator, not really large enough for power although it could be used for low voltage such as a house drop. It is definitely HEMINGRAY and pretty early in the game. Nice come by.

BillinMo

Reaction score
Great find!! Yup, CD 124.2. Latest price guide has them listed at 175-200 but of course you'd have to take any flaws into account.

These are an early telephone design, probably from the late 1870s-early 1880s. The pony began with scaling down the telegraph styles like CD 126 into the smaller CD 102 to use for telephone lines. I wouldn't be surprised to see these used or re-purposed for a local telegraph line or low-voltage service drop, though, so Jim's totally right on that point.

I think this is the earliest Hemingray pony, and they later moved to CD 124.1, 124.3, then 124. Then things changed dramatically in 1893 with the introduction of the popular Hemingray 9 pony.

PVM542

Reaction score
That is a very nice find! The 124.2s are a tough CD to acquire and are very underrated at least IMHO.

cheers
Patrick

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
louieb583