pennsylvania diggers?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

lachance88

Reaction score
I've been a JUNKIE reading this site for the last three days ever since I bout a demi-john formaldehyde bottle at a yard sale for three bucks. ANYWAY, I just bought a new house, it sits on three acres right on the Tioga River in Tioga County PA, and I'm just betting no one's been digging around there, the same woman lived on the lot for 60 years, although the house was replaced in 1980's..... I guess my question is... are there any telltale signs to look for before starting to dig. I'm certain there was a privy at one time, but no signs above ground.... and would the banks of the river be a good place to look?

Thanks.
Kathy

Ed

Reaction score
Hi kathy, I do live in pa. But I live in Allegheny county. I dig and metal detect in Forest county where our summer home is. It use to be a hunting cabin but we put a double wide in. So it is a summer home. lol . I do go to westmoreland county. That is where I have got our family tree back too 1830 . I got all the deeds back to 1790. I did send for a probe from Jaken a member here. And like you I read this site four times a day. Only thing is I been playing around with bottles for years, just now getting serious. lol I do wish I could hook up with someone, but it is ok. Just keep reading. Ed

pabottles

Reaction score
I'm in southeastern Pa about 8 miles from the Md line.All the digging I've been doing has been in Md though.For example,on Middletown rd in Md there was a house they tore down recently that was built around 1820-50 I secured permission to check it out.I need a probe because I know the privy is there.I dug around the foundation and such and found evidence of bottles being from around that era.I found a lot of broken graphite pontil bottoms and some strange kick up bottoms.No pontil scars but judging form the imperfections they are booocoup old(it's black glass too).I wish I had a digital camera to show you guys.I might have to fashion a makeshift probe and go there this weekend.Will keep ya posted either way.

cb0023

Reaction score
hey you guys in allegheny co. i used to live in highland park which is right by the zoo. i lived there for 25 years. if you ever head over that way i can point you in the right direction. its a pretty old neighborhood. try to look up on google a gentleman with the last name of negley. he had a monster castle by the resisvoirs(sp?)from back in the 1800's and there was a lot of woods there. anyway check it out...later

Bottle tumbler

Reaction score
The first thing I did with my home(187? to 1890s) was call the court house and find out any info they had. they only went back to 1890, really not old enough for good bottles, decent but nothing great. then I bought a probe and read up on how to use it,well read how others found privies. the dirt is always softer in the privi area. you will have to mess around to get a feel for it. Look for lilac bushs in the yard or a big tree anywhere from 10 to 70 feet from the original back door of the house, in your case no old house. then look for a big old tree, look around that first for a depression then probe it.
I'm in the northeast of pa, noxen pa. need help email me.

rick

Ed

Reaction score
Chris I know where Highland park is. Tell me more I could end up over there one day. I live in Bridgeville Pa. The other side of town. Email if you like or post it here. Good day Ed

cb0023

Reaction score
hey ed, here is a link to the highland park website..its just a general community site but it will give you a brief history and you could always contact them about old maps oor other historical questions. try to get teh sanborns for that area. there are alot of old beautiful houses there and i dont think getting permission will be a problem. also a neighboring community is called morningside. it used to be a village and i have some maps of that. there isnt much on them it was mostly farmland and such but i will send them over.. my dad stil live sout there and he does some metal detecting. maybe the two of you could team up. hes always looking for company. anyway ill send you those maps.. heres the link for the hp website.. http://www.highlandpark.pgh.pa.us/

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
louieb583