Pepsi Cola - 3 Rivers Glass, Tupelo MISS

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
According to the information on this link, Elvis' first job was with the "Precision Tool Company" in 1951. Elvis was about 16 years old in 1951. If he worked for Peps Cola as so many accounts claim, then I suspect it was before 1951. He worked for the "Crown Electric Company" in 1954 when his singing and recording career began ...

http://www.elvispresleynews.com/elvisfirstjob/

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Its possible a more detailed explanation about Elvis working for Pepsi Cola will be found somewhere in the pages of this book, which I'm still reading and where I found the attached snippets ...

https://books.google.com/books?id=d...lvis presley worked for pepsi cola in&f=false

Father, Vernon - Page 96

Elvis' Father Jesse Pepsi Cola 1943 Tupelo Miss.png

Grandfather, Jesse - Page 106

Elvis Presley' Grand Father Pepsi Cola Watchman.png

Last edited:

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Hey, Josh

I'm starting to think the accounts that claim Elvis worked for the Tupelo Pepsi Cola Bottling Company as a teenager might be incorrect. Its possible those accounts originated by someone who confused Elvis' father and grandfather with Elvis. There seems to be no question about Vernon Presley and Jesse Presley working for Pepsi, but I can't find any concrete evidence, other than some confusing accounts, to confirm that Elvis ever worked there. I'll keep searching and see what I can find, but I might be chasing a Red Herring! ???

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Here's another Pepsi Cola bottle that's described as being from Tupelo. Mississippi 1930s. I'm not sure if its an acl or embossed, but its definitely different than Josh's bottle and different than most I've seen. I wonder what the story is about it?

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/440508407278836043/

Pepsi Cola Bottle Tupelo Mississippi.jpg

iggyworf

Reaction score
It seems that style of bottle is more common than Josh's bottle. I do believe it might have had a paper label, but not ACL.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
The following highlighted transcript and the attached snippet it came from is the earliest published account I have found that discusses Jesse Presley's employment with Pepsi Cola. I have looked for an original copy of the magazine but I'm not sure which month volume 52 was in. Nor have I been able to determine if the word 'volume' means the week of the year or just what. But because it mentions Elvis as a private in the army, it has to be after March of 1958 because that's when Elvis entered the service.

Notice it refers to Jesse as a "crate repairman." Other references say he was a night watchman, which leads me to believe he started out as a repairman and became a night watchman sometime before he retired in 1964 at the age of 68. When this article was published in 1958, Jesse was about 62 years old. Which indicates he worked for Pepsi for at least six years. I do not know what year he started working for Pepsi Cola in Louisville, Kentucky.

The main reason I'm focusing on this is because of the references that claim Elvis Presley worked for the Tupelo, Mississippi Pepsi Cola Company when he was a teenager. As it stands now, I cannot find a single shred of credible evidence to confirm that Elvis worked for Pepsi as a teenager or any other time in his life. As I said earlier, I believe its possible that someone confused Jesse's employment, or possibly his father's employment, with Pepsi that somehow turned into Elvis having worked there. I will stand corrected if something eventually presents itself to confirm the Elvis/Pepsi connection, but as it stands now I believe its a total myth!

However, there's a bright side to this! If you ever come across a Pepsi Cola "crate" from the late 1950s that's from Louisville, Kentucky, and it looks like it might have been "repaired," then there is a one-in-a-million chance it was repaired by Elvis Presley's grandfather, Jesse Presley.
(That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!) :)

1958 Newsweek Magazine - Volume 52 - Page 63

Hound Dog Sr.

When Pvt. Elvis Presley was about 4 years old his grandfather used to sing cotton-field songs to him that he had learned in his own childhood in Tupelo, Miss. A carpenter and cabinetmaker, Jesse (Dee) Presley also built the Mississippi home in which the rock-"n"-roll idol lived until he was 9 years old. Now 62, and a resident of Louisville, Ky. (where he works as a crate repairman for the local Pepsi Cola bottling company), Jesse last week confirmed the news that he ...

Note: The two snippets read top to bottom - As near as I can determine it was a single column article in the music section - I have been unable to find the entire article.

Elvis Presley Jesse Presley Newsweek 1958 (1).jpg

Elvis Presley Jesse Presley Newsweek 1958.jpg

This is an oil and acrylic on a rusted sign by artist Paul Karslake from 2014. He titled it ...

ELVIS PEPSI

Elvis Pepsi.jpg

Last edited:

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S.

In case you didn't already know, it is well docu-mented that Elvis Presley's favorite soft drink was ...

PEPSI COLA

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AuctionAnnie