pics of the Tobago John Gosnell Bears Grease pot lid

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

sharrer

Reaction score
Hi folks!

First of all: thanks a lot for your fast, helpful and most informative feedback! I had also sent out some more emails to collectors whose email adresses I found on the web and was quite surprised by the amount of replies that I got in such a short time... I had the first couple of buying offers already by today - seems I really found something down there... However: here are the links to the pics that show the pot lid that I found:

http://web.mit.edu/sharrer/www/gosnell-pot-lid/gosnell1.jpg
http://web.mit.edu/sharrer/www/gosnell-pot-lid/gosnell2.jpg
http://web.mit.edu/sharrer/www/gosnell-pot-lid/gosnell3.jpg
http://web.mit.edu/sharrer/www/gosnell-pot-lid/gosnell4.jpg

After carefully examining the pot lid I noticed that there are very well preserved structures under the black crap that covers most of the surface - I assume that's the work of the sea, the wind and god knows what else... I am convinced that someone who is a professional in cleaning these kind of surfaces might actually restore the whole medal part. Of course I did NOT try to clean it whatsoever: I collected stamps a couple of years ago and kind of got really into it so I know how much one can screw up when trying to clean stuff like that without having the proper knowledge and experience. As a matter of fact I wrapped the piece in clean sheets and that's where it's been ever since I found it.

For everyone who asked in this forum: Yes, I'm definitely interested in selling the pot lid. Whoever might be interested please let me know what you think after seeing the pics. I know that there is significant damage on the one hand side, especially when compared to the quality of the pot lids that I've seen online so far - on the other hand side the many replies and the background knowledge that I got from quite a lot of people including Jules Gosnell (whose webpage on the Gosnell collection that he holds is quite impressive) tells me that the one I found is really quite rare!

So let me know if you're interested and in any case: have a nice weekend!

Stefan

TROG

Reaction score
Hi Stefan,
Thankyou for posting the photo,s so quick.What a shame about the wear to the face and the large chips as what you have found is very rare and with this damage has made the lid worth very little. In mint condition this lid would have more than likely brought in excess of $1500.00.

sharrer

Reaction score
Hi,

thanks a lot for your fast answer and your feedback. I totally agree that the piece is in a very non-mint condition[:(] but right before I read about the 1500++ bucks pricing from TROG (UNBELIEVABLE!!! I had thought about maybe 50 bucks in the best case) for the item in mint condition I almost got cracy because I got an offer for the lid over 1000 USD from a guy from Holland!!!! [:)][:D] So I assume the lid is still very interesting and the fact that it's obviously very rare somewhat compensates for its poor condition... So I thought about it and here's the deal: That's all just too exciting!! I just wanna wait what happens in your forum within one week from today - If I don't get an offer exceeding 1000 USD until next Friday the good old John Gosnell will go back to Europe, very close to its roots..[:)]. Isn't that amazing? after 150 years of moving around under the sea and above the sea and who knows where else thousands kilometers away from where it was made and then a German dude comes and picks it up on a different continent!

However: thank you all very much for your feedback and your fast answers - I will keep you all updated on what happens with the guys from outside the forum!

have a good night (because I go to bed now at my end of the world) and whoever might wake up right now: have a pleasant day!

all the best from Cambridge,

Stefan

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen