pint Schram solid pour

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

rallcollector

Reaction score
This is a circa 1907-20 aqua pint Schram solid pour. The solid pour would have ended up as Redbook # 2569, and for comparison sake I have it next to a similar clear pint from around the same time frame. On page 755 of the 2011 Standard Fruit Jar Reference, six solid pour pints are known. This can be added as #7.

The Standard Fruit Jar Reference states that…â€solid pour jars made from molds used on automatic bottle machines were likely deliberately made by glass workers to be used as novelty pieces. Conversely, they could also have been the result of a machine malfunction. We just don’t know.â€

B5BB7B375FC14D1093089D34CEC83115.jpg

Attachments

• B5BB7B375FC14D1093089D34CEC83115.jpg
    B5BB7B375FC14D1093089D34CEC83115.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 83

LC

Reaction score
I had a crown top soda that was half solid pour , probably from a malfunction . Gave it to a guy , kind of wish I had kept it now , thought it was a neat piece of glass . Your item well surpasses that bottle . A great find . Could it possibly be considered an end of the day piece ?

coreya

Reaction score
There was a thread on these before but can't find it now, It appeares to be an advertising paperweight made to look like a jar, Here is one that recently sold PAPERWEIGHT Can't seem to get the search function to bring up the old thread.
Note the additional embosing on the base and the B on the front.

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: coreya

There was a thread on these before but can't find it now, It appeares to be an advertising paperweight made to look like a jar, Here is one that recently sold PAPERWEIGHT Can't seem to get the search function to bring up the old thread.
Note the additional embosing on the base and the B on the front.
Searching here is a royal PITA, can't figure out why they can't get it updated to the actual date instead of only returning older searches...[:-]

rmckin

Reaction score
Hi,
Check out Red Matthew's post on 01-13-13, where He stated His opinions on solid pours.....It was the post concerning the Marion jar...I'm new, and not sure how to pull it up....
Ron

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: rmckin

Hi,
Check out Red Matthew's post on 01-13-13, where He stated His opinions on solid pours.....It was the post concerning the Marion jar...I'm new, and not sure how to pull it up....
Ron
"Hello; That is a great example of COLD MOLD RIPPLE. When they got ready to make these early jars, they would fill the mold with hot glass from the furnace to heat up the iron mold metal. This would let the glass blow thinner and more even against the molds inside surface. It also helped the glass blow into the chisel cut lettering in the iron. The solid poured glass is a neat collectors look for, and highly wanted. When the solid pours were made the glass went up to about an inch of the mold top. After it sat in there for maybe 15 minutes or so, it was knocked out of the mold and then production started. These solid pour pieces of glass could not be put in remelt, so most of the ones found were in the Glass House's trash dump. A lot of solid pour bottles, jars and insulators have been found and collected.
In the last few days there was a MASONS solid pour on the eBay. I wanted to buy it but couldn't afford it - even then it sold too cheaply. When I checked the pictures, I realized that it was really a MASON'S sales mans gimick paper weight for their jars. It should have gone over $200 bucks - but it didn't. I think it went for around $125. Great buy for some one." RED Matthews

rallcollector

Reaction score
I was the winning bidder for the ebay auction that Corey referenced, but the item wasn't an advertising paperweight as the seller described in the auction listing. Had the mold not been filled completely with glass, it would have ended up as Redbook #2569, with a "B" underneath AUTOMATIC SEALER in a flagtail, and SCHRAM ST LOUIS embossed on the base, exactly as a 2569 should be. It's a pint canning jar solid pour.

A couple years back in advance of the annual fruit jar show in Muncie Indiana, everyone that owned a solid pour was encouraged to bring it for the show and tell portion of the weekend. This picture is from that line-up.

1EDB5E4AA8064B8AA7D6A76EEB3A3866.jpg

Attachments

• 1EDB5E4AA8064B8AA7D6A76EEB3A3866.jpg
    1EDB5E4AA8064B8AA7D6A76EEB3A3866.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 78

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles