Plain Jane, but a beaut!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cobaltbot

Reaction score
Tough time of year to be out walking for bottles, things have jungled up here and baby ticks are out. Followed an old lead yesterday about 10 years too late. Embossed milks were seen up an old creek tributary and I tryed to find it once with poor description. Tryed again yesterday with better directions and after much walking through some beautiful streamside beech woods came upon an old springhouse. Went inside the roofless yet shady house and sat down to cool off awhile. Exposing a crawdad I made a little pool in the water to splash my face. Resuming the search I collected some blue and gray saltglaze shards among the rocks downstream of the spring. A little furthur found what may have been the milk dump. Nothing now but cracked whole bottles, pieces of stoneware and other shards, may go back and scratch to see if they missed anything. Continued along the streambank for about a half mile and found this little flask just laying on top oif the leaves. Now obviously someone could have dropped it and still carrying better finds decided to not go back and get it. This has happened so many times though, just one bottle sitting on top of last year's leaves, that it makes me wonder strange things. How can a bottle thats been out there at least 100 years do that? As usual I start trying to figure where it came from and search the immediate area for a dump but usually find none. As I picked it up I could tell it was heavily whittled, and after cleaning, the crudeness, color, feel, and seed bubbles are outstanding........if only it had just one letter.................

9EE7FDABA5C541869DD0603FD039C651.jpg

Attachments

• 9EE7FDABA5C541869DD0603FD039C651.jpg
    9EE7FDABA5C541869DD0603FD039C651.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 45

madpaddla

Reaction score
Nice bottle cobaltbot:

The whittle is very nice. The reasoning as to why it was on top will drive you crazy. Could be left (as you mentioned) by a former digger, the earth could of moved gradually to expose bottles, could of been covered with leaves previously (and the wind took em), etc. There could be 100 yrs. of reasons. haha I would most def. go back to that site with a sm. shovel, backpack, probe/screw driver, etc. And since you have the house still there I would search the back corners of the lot/stonewalls, etc. Sounds like you got a nice site there. Nice bottle and good luck. Madpaddla

capsoda

Reaction score
A very nice crude old flask Steve. Sometimes little bottles like that make it all worth while. Looking for the big score but instead found a little flask with all the character in the world.

Mihai

Reaction score
The bottle is great, no doubt, but the story... And the way of telling it... You should forget your day job and make a living from writing.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Webster