Portholes From a Shipwreck

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

UnderMiner

Reaction score
These are some portholes I found a few days ago. I think they are part of an old wooden yacht that was beached/sunk in the area around 100 years ago.

All the glass is intact and the hinges and wing nuts still work:
20240410_005050.jpg

The two seven-inch portholes in situ:
20240411_170330.jpg

The five-inch porthole in situ:
20240411_170355.jpg

Notice how the portholes are all aligned and facing glass-side up in the mud? I theorize this is because the yacht was resting on its side and when the wood disintegrated it simply left the portholes were they came to rest.

If my theory is correct this means there should still be at least another three portholes somewhere in the area from the opposite side of the wreck. There may also be other artifacts buried under the mud in the area from the inside of the vessel.

Semar

Reaction score
Those Porthole frames may be made from bronze, if that's so then they'll clean up nicely.

Semar

Reaction score
More likely an engine block too. :D
Seriously though, if the vessel hasn't been stripped for fittings you can find cleats, chocks and running light fixtures.

UnderMiner

Reaction score
maybe metal detect the area. might find some nice old beer cans that way also.
I found these cans on the land nearby now that you mention it, I'm not usually in a position to find cans as I mainly hunt salt water marshes where most thin metal corrodes away, but these old aluminum cans I found in the woods...
20240412_081833.jpg

I kept the Fresca, I know it's not rare or expensive but it's still a pull tab can so it's got to be over 40 years old.
20240412_082105.jpg

I also found this bottle close to where the portholes were, its an applied-top wine bottle of some sort, it has a "Federal Law Forbids" written on it so it's not too old, but still neat.
20240412_082040.jpg

DeepSeaDan

Reaction score
These are some portholes I found a few days ago. I think they are part of an old wooden yacht that was beached/sunk in the area around 100 years ago.

All the glass is intact and the hinges and wing nuts still work:
View attachment 254431

The two seven-inch portholes in situ:
View attachment 254433

The five-inch porthole in situ:
View attachment 254432

Notice how the portholes are all aligned and facing glass-side up in the mud? I theorize this is because the yacht was resting on its side and when the wood disintegrated it simply left the portholes were they came to rest.

If my theory is correct this means there should still be at least another three portholes somewhere in the area from the opposite side of the wreck. There may also be other artifacts buried under the mud in the area from the inside of the vessel.
Hot dang! That is freakin' amazing! This Missuss bought me one ( I'm a marine antiques junky ) and paid $300 for it. What do you plan to do with them?

islamoradamark

Reaction score
im tell you you need to be looking for the other 3 that spot is virgin everybody wants a porthole. there will be all kinds of treasures in that spot

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Acrgator