Possible Lewis 66 Bottle of some kind??

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Todd Bellew

Reaction score
A friend of mine got this bottle from some type of estate sale. He didn't pay very much for a lot of strange items. He dug it out and I tried to see if I could figure out what it might be. I did a crash course in Bottle (see it was so crash I forget the technical name) identification from the web.

I learned that Lewis 66 was a brand of whiskey made in Cincinnati in the late 1800's. From what I remember they weren't in business very long. I did find pictures of these types of bottles on ebay and this site. But, this bottle is not the same. As you can see from the picture the Lewis 66 script/ "logo" is such an odd name and to be on a bottle that very well could have had whiskey in it makes me go humm. Also, this was purchased at a sale located around Indianapolis, maybe 120 miles from Cincinnati.

Physical features- The only markings on this bottle is the Gold colored painted scrpit that reads Lewis with 66 underneath. The script uses a flare that swipes under the name lewis, I noticed a similar scipt on the bottles that are "original(dating late 1800's)" Lewis 66 bottles. The difference is the flare comes from the oppsite side as the "original" bottle. There are no molded lettering or markings of any other type.

So I then learned about the "SEAM". lol This bottle has no seam and further bottle Identification leads me to believe it is hand blow of some kind. First the odd shape of the "hand hold". Also, no seam. And most of all, the site I read indicated very clearly what an added on top to a hand blown piece would look like and it's very very close. The top has no seam and where it meets the main part of the bottle it clearly as the horizontal striations that indicate it was added during/after the bottle was made. I could include a picture but it requires high resolution.

Also, the bottle clearly to me does not appear to be made but made 40-60 years ago.

There's the story, cool find or piece of decorative junk?? Please help, thanks.

F13D93983EA44DE58A276DC37ED025C1.jpg

Attachments

• F13D93983EA44DE58A276DC37ED025C1.jpg
    F13D93983EA44DE58A276DC37ED025C1.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 52

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Todd, It's a Lewis 66 barback bottle and is origanal. I have seen several but the top is not the one that came with the bottle. It had a fancy flat flared {say that three times fast}kind of flower that was embossed Lewis 66.

It is worth about 30 bucks. The top would have made it 60.

Todd Bellew

Reaction score
Capsoda,
Thanks for the info. And so fast. This bottle identification has been quite an adventure. I can't believe I stumbled across such a wealth of knowledge about this subject. Learn something new everyday.

Yeah, I knew the cap was incorrect. Thats why I never mentioned it in the description. I meant to take it out for the picture.
My friend got several bottles at one time and I figure this is a cap out of one of them. I'll have him try and find he cap and the other bottles.

How old do you think this bottle is? Was I correct about it's construction?

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
angieb1229