Possible Rheinstrom Bros early ball & claw bitters or creme de menthe bottle?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

timeandabottle

Reaction score
Hello again everyone. I recently purchased this bottle and lots of research has came up with Notta! It looks like a Rheinstrom Bros Ball and Claw Crème De Menthe made in the 1890’s by the Hemingray Glass Co. However, every example I can find is a colored glass while mine is clear. There's also a similar looking Ball and Claw Bitters but they all have embossing. Mine has no embossing on it and no gold gilt. I bought it and a similar Good Luck bottle from a collector that lived within 250 miles from Cincinnati which is where an old Hemingway Dump was and shards of these bottles have apparently been found there. My bottle is a 2-piece BIM with lots of bubbles and good wear on the base. It’s 10 3/4” tall. Any ideas as to what this may be? (Wheaton's reproductions, (as far as I know) are all marked on the base). Thanks in advance as always.

Attachments

• ball claw 1.jpg
    ball claw 1.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 118
  • ball claw 4.jpg
    ball claw 4.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 120
  • ball claw 2.jpg
    ball claw 2.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 104
  • ball claw 3.jpg
    ball claw 3.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

indianainsulators

Cole King
Reaction score
I would say with some certainty that yes, your bottle is Hemingray made. The style matches perfectly to the Creme bottles you have seen. The ice aqua color of your bottle is a common Hemi color.
The website you are looking at ( www.Hemingray.net ) was set up by Hemingray collector Raven Kotlarsky, who is also the editor of Crown Jewels of the Wire magazine.
If you would be interested in selling your claw bottle, I would be extremely interested. I would love for it to go with my Hemingray collection.
Just FYI, I made an account on this website just so I could reply to this post!
Thanks,
Cole King

timeandabottle

Reaction score
Thanks for the great information! When I acquired it I fell in love with it and it immediately replaced an existing bottle in my collection! Regarding selling it…that would be tough to let go but not impossible. You can send me an e-mail with an offer that I would ponder. Thanks again for your info. This is a great site with unbelievable knowledge of many of its members.

indianainsulators

Cole King
Reaction score
Interesting update! I spoke with Bob Stahr, who is the Hemingray guru. I learned that none of these claw bottles are embossed. The "Creme de Menthe" is just a very thick paint! So, the name on the bottle just rubbed off over the years. Mystery solved!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen