Possibly one of the earliest John Ryan bottles?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

epackage

Reaction score
Either way I'm guessing a $1,000 bottle all day long....[8D]

bottlekid76

Reaction score
Hi Jim,

Actually I don't, and it could be a Philly made Ryan?

All the best,
~Tim

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
What a spectacular bottle Tim. Very very nice. I love the double collar, the color, the pontil, the crazy plate. Amazing and awesome. I guess I would have thought of the southern Ryan because of the first name John, but what do I know. Great bottle. It would be the finest bottle I owned (if I owned it).

bottlekid76

Reaction score
Thank you so much for the kind words Bob. My thoughts are exactly. I really wish you could see it in person, it really is an amazing example. I'm so glad to have gotten the opprotunity to have it. It seems so unusual to me to see a Ryan that so many longtime and experienced collectors have never seen. God has blessed me in the past couple years with some amazing finds. This one was in a soda collection for many, many years. The gentleman that had it didn't have the internet and was an "old school" longtime collector. I was very fortunate that he sold it to me, I know he was reluctant and had plans to keep it.

All the best,
~Tim

baltbottles

Reaction score
Tim,

I hate to tell you but the bottle you bought is an outright fake. It was made with an industrial laser etching machine there were a few of these going around about 6 years ago. I believe they were traced back to a guy in Pa he also made a bunch of unique sodas from small Pa towns. That took a few collectors by surprise. I don't know if any legal action was ever taken against the guy.

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
wow , thats frightening to hear. I was thinking it almost looked hydrofluoric acid etched but not quite. We have machinery where I work that could probably do something like that. Is there any documentation of the earlier fakes?

sandchip

Reaction score
Balt, I'm not gonna say you took the words right out of my mouth, 'cause I wasn't sure how it was done, but my gut said fake soon as I saw the first picture. I really hate it because, as a Georgia boy, I was so excited for you, BK76, as I read your story leading up to the photos. Man, I'm sorry, and I hope you can get your money back.

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: baltbottles

Tim,

I hate to tell you but the bottle you bought is an outright fake. It was made with an industrial laser etching machine there were a few of these going around about 6 years ago. I believe they were traced back to a guy in Pa he also made a bunch of unique sodas from small Pa towns. That took a few collectors by surprise. I don't know if any legal action was ever taken against the guy.
Uh OH !!!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TDF.1973