PRE-1900 MACINE MADE?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

dmagave

Reaction score
i read in colgate history that by 1900 they were using all machine made bottles.i imagine that bottles could've been blown with a seam to the top or am i wrong.i use 1905 as a date for 'machine' made bottles but some meds have a seam to the top but seem to pre-date 1905.this will throw my 'tooled top' meds back too,in regards to the larger companies like hires. ( long time reader,1st post) dave

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Hello and welcome Dave.
It is true that there were at least semi-automatic machines before 1905 and as early as the mid '90's but the product was crude and unattractive.
If you could provide the link we can probably form an opinion.
I highly doubt Colgate used it. It was mostly tested on and used for sodas.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Hi there!
My understanding is that 1903 saw the introduction of the Owens automatic bottle machine, the first major, successful such invention. Due to "technology lag" however, it wasn't until World War 1 or afterwards until hand-finished bottles were completely phased out.
I've seen crown top bottles on which the seam goes up the side of the lip, and only the very top of the lip was finished by hand.

dmagave

Reaction score
thanks guys.maybe i'll use 1900 as my guide line,hence the pre/post 1900 as used here.i guess i just want to drop them into that older time frame.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alatide