Princess Toilet Co. Toronto Ont bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RCO

Reaction score
found this bottle in a mixed lot in an online auction , tried to search around but not really anything on it and don't recall ever seeing one before .

its marked " Princess Toilet Co Toronto Ont" and aqua in colour with a corked top . on the bottom is marked " W T CO , U 2 , USA " which is an american glass maker and this mark used from 1901-1924 from what i read online . so a canadian bottle made in the USA

not sure who the Princess Toilet co was , i'd assume the bottle was for some sort of cleaner ? but looks more like a druggist bottle . perhaps a collector of toronto bottles has seen it before and knows something about it.

DSC05139.JPG
DSC05140.JPG
DSC05147.JPG
DSC05147 - Copy.JPG

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
A Canadian bottle made in the USA--sounds like good neighbors and good business. I'm sure NJ gave them a deal. They were a HUGE bottle maker. Could have been a cleaner but imagine the flip side with a foo foo female stereotyped turn of the century paper label. I wouldn't rule out a scent bot.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
It was probably eau de toilette, in those days called toilet water or Florida water. In those days the word "toilet" had the same connotation as "toiletry" does today, rather than referring to flush toilets. Eau de toilette is a type of medium-strength scent, stronger than true cologne and weaker than true perfume. (The terms cologne and perfume used to refer to the concentration, rather than man-smell versus woman-smell).

As for the bottle itself, it's not one I remember coming across before. Nice find!

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
Agreed, and a better explanation one could not find. Thanks Canadian Bottles.

RCO

Reaction score
It was probably eau de toilette, in those days called toilet water or Florida water. In those days the word "toilet" had the same connotation as "toiletry" does today, rather than referring to flush toilets. Eau de toilette is a type of medium-strength scent, stronger than true cologne and weaker than true perfume. (The terms cologne and perfume used to refer to the concentration, rather than man-smell versus woman-smell).

As for the bottle itself, it's not one I remember coming across before. Nice find!

makes sense that over the years words and terms have different meanings

definitly never seen it before either , tried searching around but unable to come up with anything

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panama Canal digger