Privy stuff?????

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Matt in NH

Reaction score
WHat kind of things can you find in privies other than bottles?? Anyone ever find buttons, coins, buckles, etc......I am new to digging privies and just want to know what to expect. So far I have dug two shallow privies...I found mostly broken crockery, broken bottles, pottery, kitchen untencils.

Matty

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Hi Matty, you definately need to check out some of the web sites devoted to privy digging! Many of them are accompanied with great photos of the actual dig in progress as well as discoveries. The answer to your question is - YES!, there's a lot more than bottles found in privys.[;)] There's been pistols, false teeth (hmmm.), eye glasses, coins, jewelry and on and on. I think what most folks are after are pontiled poison bottles or other early bottles. I live in an 1830s house here in Maine once known as the 'Old Burrow's Farm', and I've yet to find the privys[&:]. Unfortunately the remains of the attached barn/shed are buried in the back yard! I WILL find it yet! Good luck in your quest![:)]

Matt in NH

Reaction score
Thanks....I have dug a couople shallow privies with minimal success, but I am determined and a very fast learner...the old dumps in my area have either been dug, or are untouched because so much rock has been dumped in with the trash smashing 99% of the bottles....but all the privies I have dug were untouched.....

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Try to find some properties that date back to the mid to early 1800s. They will be more apt to have privys with early 'stuff'. The late 1800s, early 1900s will also have some interesting finds, but not on the caliber of the early ones. The forum members down south, New Orleans, etc., have been lamenting that the dumps have mostly been dug, so they've been going after the privys. I think here in New England we still have a lot more opportunities, due to our low populations. The key is knowing where to look, who to talk to; I've gotten a lot of tips regarding dump locations from the old timers up here. Oh! by the way, Welcome to the Forum!![/ Sorry about my lack of manners![8D] You are in a pretty good area down there by Manchester, keep your eyes open for demolition and new construction around the city, there's some old neighborhoods. Check to see if there'a a local bottle club, and see if you can get invited along on a privy dig.[;)]

BARQS19

Reaction score
We were digging in a dump on a river in Mississippi once. My dad found a dime from 1908 minted in New Orleans, LA. Looked brand new. Not sure how it got there. Found a couple of New Orleans hutches. Half way down I found a 1960s Coke bottle. That's when we left.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter