Psychodelilactochron Plus

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ombudsman

Reaction score
You all will remember (surely you couldn't forget!) my tumbler constructed from a variable-speed reversable DC gearmoter and a milk crate. My best friend gave me the motor and controller and faced and drilled a pulley for a flange to mount the milk crate.
Here it is, for anyone who may have missed it:

CC659EC975004E0C9FE4643C8AACE836.jpg

Attachments

• CC659EC975004E0C9FE4643C8AACE836.jpg
    CC659EC975004E0C9FE4643C8AACE836.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 65

ombudsman

Reaction score
Well, I have been doing just the insides of the bottles, not having a tumbling container built for interior/exterior work. My plan was to build some standard tumbling containers and fit them in the milk crate.

My best friend made me a standard container. I bought the plugs, but he made the spring-loaded stopple and plastic-covered fingers for the tube (which he also supplied.) I loaded the container with a pretty, whittled Siegert & Hijos bitters, glass beads and tin oxide (the bottle had light staining and scuffing.)

I underestimated the weight of the filled container, and when I put it into the milk crate the crate sagged some. It's a stout crate, but apparently it is not up to the weight of a filled in/out container with a large bottle. Sooo, now I had a nice loaded container and no way to spin it.

I looked at the Psychodelilactochron and its pulley and thought....

At a rummage sale I bought an old skate board for a buck and removed the wheels. Here is what I came up with. It works!

36485BFBF1FA4FC2BF40646DBDA38A46.jpg

Attachments

• 36485BFBF1FA4FC2BF40646DBDA38A46.jpg
    36485BFBF1FA4FC2BF40646DBDA38A46.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 69

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Don't tell me.. somebody saw the pic and reported to the milk crate police.. and you need bail?? Sorry, can't help ya..
..you're a clever dude.. that looks like a true stroke of genius to me!! [:)]

ombudsman

Reaction score
It may look goofy, but (other than the expensive motor and controller that were given to me) it cost almost nothing. I have had excellent results on the bottle interiors, and have no reason to expect anything else on the exteriors.

Laugh if you like, but I'm happy.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
I bet... if you mounted a bearing in the center of the wooden "lid" on the crate, and stubbed the bearing into a 2x4 or something that supported the weight on the other side, you might get a more stable ride in the crate.. and it would hold more weight.. [8|]

ombudsman

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: cyberdigger

Don't tell me.. somebody saw the pic and reported to the milk crate police.. and you need bail?? Sorry, can't help ya..
..you're a clever dude.. that looks like a true stroke of genius to me!! [:)]

Thanks [:)]

Actually, and you may be aware of this, I learned that milk crate theft is a real big deal to the dairy industry. I tried to buy one from the grocery store where we trade, and was flatly refused. I went online and found that you can buy them for $15, but that the industry takes theft of them seriously. Luckily, my wife found one where she works. As you see, it has "FFP" burned over the "label." I can't imagine what FFP means; I could guess, but the thread would probably get deleted. [:D]

ombudsman

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: cyberdigger

I bet... if you mounted a bearing in the center of the wooden "lid" on the crate, and stubbed the bearing into a 2x4 or something that supported the weight on the other side, you might get a more stable ride in the crate.. and it would hold more weight.. [8|]

I thought of that, but was (and am) trying to spend as little money as possible. This is partly a game and partly a necessity. LOL

It runs smooth as silk, although if the bottles are packed in the crate badly out of balance it will slightly accelerate and decelerate during each revolution.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
PM me your address, I will send you a 2x4.. and a bearing..

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmajeau