Pump for wet privies.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Bluegrass

Reaction score
Can anyone suggest a good electric pump for wet privies. I've looked at a few but need some experienced advise.

Thanks, John.

Maine Digger

Reaction score
How about a 1/3 - 1/2 hp submersible sump pump? I've also used a telescoping swiming pool skimmer pole with hose (attached just to pump), the aluminum pole extends about 16'. Or Hey, why don't you just 'FLUSH' the toilet.[8D]

Bluegrass

Reaction score
That's probably what I'm getting--sump pump. Guess I'll have to invent a bucket filter or something. As for the flushing.... it was pretty thoughtless of those suckers not to dig a little reservoir under the main pit to collect the liquids in!!!!

John.

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Make a cage out of wire mesh to place the pump in, also you can jury-rig a pull string for the float if the water level isn't deep enough to trigger the pump.

Bluegrass

Reaction score
Thanks Norm. My partner is going to drill a zillion holes in the bucket and then put the mesh around the inside of the bucket. Hopefully the pit won't be mud-soup.

John.

pabottles

Reaction score
My partner is going to drill a zillion holes in the bucket and then put the mesh around the inside of the bucket. Hopefully the pit won't be mud-soup.

You may want to include a check valve in the line so that when you shut the pump off the water won't run back through the hosing and into the hole again.I found that out the hard way when I reinstalled my sump pump in my basement.

Bluegrass

Reaction score
Thanks for that. The pump's pretty expensive, so I hope it has one!

Maine Digger

Reaction score
John, the check valve is not integral to the sump pump; it's a fitting that is inserted in the pipe that takes the water from the pump. They're not too expensive, but Pa is correct, all the water that's still in the line will just flow back into the pit without a check valve.[:mad:] And worse, if you happen to be using a hose or flexible pipe that empties into standing water, when you shut the pump off, the water will likely flow back, create a siphon, and empty the puddle back into the pit![:mad:]

IRISH

Reaction score
Ahh.. the fun of digging wet holes [:-] [:D] , best advise I can give you is hire a petrol (gas) powered sump or sludge pump, if you do a lot of digging in this type of going you will destroy the best of pumps in time and it works out cheaper to hire also you can try different pumps and see what works best.
Is there a reason you want an electric motor ?

Bluegrass

Reaction score
Hi Irish.... mostly because of the noise the gas ones make. Don't want to annoy homeowners. Also, the electric ones tend to be lighter and smaller for carrying about. I think the key will be to create a really good bucket filter; if that can be done, perhaps the pump will last longer. Thanks!

John.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AuctionAnnie