Pure Spring Ginger Ale can Ottawa Ontario

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RCO

Reaction score
another interesting item that I found on the weekend was this can , honestly not sure if its worth anything , found it in a box at a thrift store and paid $ 1 for it .

never found any pure spring cans in the wild here , at least not yet , think this can is from the 60's era , doesn't seem to have ml on it yet . looked online and seemed to be a couple different designs used for the ginger ale

though it might clean up a bit but now not really sure and that will likely have to wait until the spring as all my can stuff is in the garage basically frozen rate now .

DSC02415.JPG

RCO

Reaction score
on the side of the can says " authority of Pure Spring ( Canada ) LTD Ottawa Canada .

my books says that name was being used from 1956 - 1965 , but I think they lasted into the 70's or even 80's if I remember correctly , but my book only goes as far as 1965

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Not sure how rare these are, is it a flat top? I know that the Pure Spring cone tops are highly collectible but not sure if there's much interest in their later ones. I think ginger ale was their most popular product so these are probably not particularly rare. Looks like it should clean up decently well based on the pictures though, the paint is pretty solid.
Also does your book say that Pure Spring operated for those dates or only that they used that specific name then? Because Pure Spring dates back to the 20s, and I'm pretty sure operated in some form into the 90s although they were no longer independent.

RCO

Reaction score
Not sure how rare these are, is it a flat top? I know that the Pure Spring cone tops are highly collectible but not sure if there's much interest in their later ones. I think ginger ale was their most popular product so these are probably not particularly rare. Looks like it should clean up decently well based on the pictures though, the paint is pretty solid.
Also does your book say that Pure Spring operated for those dates or only that they used that specific name then? Because Pure Spring dates back to the 20s, and I'm pretty sure operated in some form into the 90s although they were no longer independent.

book said they used a slightly different name in the 30's-50's

Pure Spring co LTD

I doubt its rare , just didn't have any Pure Spring cans in my growing display of cans in the garage so I though it be a good way to add one .

I think some of the rust might come off , not sure if it look much better though

Canadacan

Reaction score
Crush bought out Pure Spring in 1963 and left it operating as a subsidiary, Crush had another company called Associated Bottlers Limited so weather it fell under that company or not I can't tell from my info. So the cans were left marked Pure Spring until 1984 when Proctor and Gamble took over and then the cans were marked Crush Canada Inc.
That can you have never came as a flat top it was the generation before that did with the rounded off triangle.
Pretty sure that's a pull top no contents on the front so it was on the seam, it's the 'sharp triangle' and I'm not positive when they changed that....maybe 1970....so it is probably from just before the OZ/MLS cans of 1973...unless it is marked on the seam.

Canadacan

Reaction score
Here are most of my cans except the cone tops. The two on the far bottom left are the earlier generation, my can like yours has oz/ml on it.
The Orange is extremely rare as is the Cola in the same generation.
20200212_142150.jpg

RCO

Reaction score
the can I found is a pull top , a date of 1970 would make sense .

I've never found any of those cans in the wild , keep an eye out for them though , perhaps one will appear eventually

don't even find that many pure spring bottles in the wild here , only ever found a couple swimming and they were damaged or broken

Latest posts

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen