Question about a Warner's Remedies

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

kor

Reaction score
Hello,I'm FAR from an expert on Warner's bottles so I thought someone here might be able to educate me on this one. I recently picked up this 6oz Warner's Safe Remedies. I had thought these were all ABM but this one has a tooled top. The neck is crooked and has some strange marks on both sides that I've highlighted. Is it possible that someone put a new top on this one? [attachment=DSC06690.JPG][attachment=DSC06693.JPG] [attachment=DSC06703.JPG]

ScottBSA

Reaction score
After the Pure Food and Drug Act was passed in 1906 the word cure could not be used in a product name or information. There were many bottle making companies that still hand made bottle until after 1910. Is there a maker's mark on the bottom? I would gather that the marks on the neck are stretch marks or where the lip tool hit the neck.Nice bottle. I am not a big Warner's collector. If one comes my way cheap, I buy it. I sold a single blob that I have had for a while yesterday at an insulator and bottle show. Scott

kor

Reaction score
Thanks Scott. The bottom is embossed "1423".I dug a Warner's Safe Cure last year right before we moved. Now that I'm getting settled in the new house I've started getting more interested in the various bottles from Warner's. My concern when I buy something is I don't know much about fakes and what methods people are using to fix or alter bottles to pass them off as original.

ScottBSA

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry too much about fakes or alterations. I have seen a Warner's website and it shows lots and lots of varieties of them. Most antique stores want too much for any of them. They are actually cheaper for the common varieties on ebay. I bought a safe cure and Tippecanoe from a craigslist ad. Generally there is a return policy on ebay purchases. When in doubt don't buy it.Where are you in Ohio. I have a couple of Toledo beers that are now in the for sale boxes. Scott

botlguy

Reaction score
The above information is good and accurate. That bottle looks fine, those are in-making tool marks. It is good advise to familiarize yourself with the reproductions if you are going to collect Warner's although some / most of the repros sell for more than their original counterparts, especially the Cobalt Blue ones. Look for the wording CROWNFORD CHINA on the base, those are repros. There are others that do not have that embossing. Jim

kor

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Jim. I was aware of the ones with various embossing on the base. It's the ones that aren't marked that scare me. Is there any good reference material out there for Warner reproductions and fakes? Even better, is there anywhere I could get an unmarked repro? Having one in hand to study might help a lot. Keith

kor

Reaction score
ScottBSA said:
I wouldn't worry too much about fakes or alterations. I have seen a Warner's website and it shows lots and lots of varieties of them. Most antique stores want too much for any of them. They are actually cheaper for the common varieties on ebay. I bought a safe cure and Tippecanoe from a craigslist ad. Generally there is a return policy on ebay purchases. When in doubt don't buy it.Where are you in Ohio. I have a couple of Toledo beers that are now in the for sale boxes. Scott
Scott, I'm in Mentor. I recent transplant from the Canton area. I have a few Toledo Beers that I've dug but I don't remember what they are specifically. I'm still working on setting up a man cave area so most of my bottles are still boxed up from the move. Keith

andy volkerts

Reaction score
Hello Keith. There is an online site called warners safe cure blog. Your remedy bottle is a real one, as Jim above stated the funny marks were left by a lipping tool when the finish was formed. The only repo warners that I know of are the Crownford china bottles, but there are probably others also....Andy

glass man

Reaction score
GOOGLE"WARNER'S REFERENCE GUIDE" though it is a bit out dated[as far as prices go]..still has great pictures of many many WARNER'S BOTTLES!JAMIE

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Well I have a three molded water bottle with a finish about like your. It was an applied band of glass like that. On mine the cut off bottle top is down in the finish ring by a good quarter inch.I like your bottle though. This hobby got into my life about 77 years ago. It is adictive. I have specialized in mouth blown glass mainly. RED Matthews

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bobbinc4