question about my set of Carter Mucilage bottles on Ebay

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

casiokey

Reaction score
A bottle collector/dealer wants me to end 2 of my ebay auctions early so he can buy the bottles directly from me but it seems like these are rare and I should let the auction play out?
I'm not a collector myself. Selling antiques on ebay is my sole income right now so I'm just a little heartsick about doing the right thing.
Link to auctions are:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6236727373&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1
and also:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6236724395&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1
Thanks for any advice you all may have!
Kate

diggerjeff

Reaction score
you should never end an ebay auction early!!! every time i have ever been ask to do so i have said no!!! and the item has always realized a higher price . this is a ploy
buyers use to get a deal. dont do it!!!

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Always let them run. It's against the rules if not etiquette for him to ask for one and you to do for another.
If they want it they'll bid and these labels (and the stopper if correct, but I have my doubts) could fetch a good amount. I also suspect ABM but can't quite tell from the pictures. Still, I wouldn't be surprised to see them hit $15-20 each, maybe more.
My 2¢

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
I agree .... let them run . I had a old Dundashill Jug I listed at one time, and I knew absolutely nothing about it at all. And a ebayer emailed me and gave me a long story about it being his Uncle's family name and so and so on. And he asked me if I would end the auction early and sell it outright for 100.00. Of course ... I said NO , but it was tempting as I had no reserve and a 9.99 opening bid. I had lots of inquiries about it in the first day of the listing so I thought it might be a rare one. So I let the auction run ... and it brought 750.00 and some change . I'm glad I waited !!!

casiokey

Reaction score
Thank you all so much for the advice! Wow that was fast!
I always turn down these type of "buy it now" requests, (I list with a real "buy it now" if I'm 100% certain of the value & want a quick sale) but in this case he offered 125 first off and now 175 so it sparked my interest. I've had alot of genuine sounding "need by christmas, how fast can you ship or end the auction" requests this week. I did find his "christmas gift for dad" story a little suspect though -this guy has a (small) bottle sales website.
Jeez, he's probably reading this thread!
Anyway, a helpful ink sales person just emailed me that each bottle is probably worth 100 to 120 or more so I'll have to do some thinking. THe markets on these specialty collector niche things are so fluid, from what I can tell it all depends who's out there looking this week.
Thanks so much, this is a great forum.
k

southern Maine diver

Reaction score
Brian S...

Nice score on the Dundashil Jug... Great find! I'm always wary of some one offering quick money for a new find... Seems like he Knows something that I don't know and it would be wise to hold out and do some investigating, research...

I obtained a bottle that I thought might have been a good one and someone saw it and later asked, "Wayne, I'll by it for $200.00 you can double your money."

Turned out to be a very rare bottle and I will be putting up for auction soon... not on E-bay but maybe in BAM or with Heckler's.[8|]

Wayne

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tina Luallen