question for long time posters on this site.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Basil.W.Duke

Reaction score
Im sort of curious as to why a presented a question on this forum...one that seemed to be interesting. Instead of an answer we had to argue about the proper terminology for water proofing. After 45 posts someone had experience with a parged privy and that it dated early. Here in Cincinnati the privies are very deep....25 to 35 feet deep. The research that did showed that in urban locations there was a real threat of cross contamination between the cistern and the privy. There was discussion of parging the inside stone or brick to prevent sewage from leeching into the cistern. I believe it was determined that all privies avter about the 1840 shall be 30ish feet deep. Now I have dug many privies but none parged and was looking for info from you. I'm not sure what the hell rick was on that day but he seemed to be just a child. Go back and read the tread from the beginning and tell me where exactly i was being an ass. Tell me what besides "wow" that I wrote to start crap with you rick. Right after "wow" you go off the reservation and you want me to contact you off this forum to "do it off of this forum and I will tell you what I think son" . Now i'm not a noob to digging forums, but is this the proper way to respond to newer posters? Just had to vent my opinion and to say that I have no hard feelings

JIm

botlguy

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: jimmartin

Now i'm not a noob to digging forums, but is this the proper way to respond to newer posters?
JIm
Jim: I deleted all your comments except for the ONLY question you asked. Since a question is the intended thread, according to the subject line, I will limit my response to that. NO.

Plumbata

Reaction score
I'm not sure how the discussion deteriorated, but part of the reason may involve the distinct communicational "culture" on this forum. Lighthearted comments posted by the ole'timers here; comments which were presented with no ill intent, can be interpreted rather negatively by those who aren't familiar with the culture or online personalities of the people one communicates with.

I have been guilty of getting bristly when a benign message was incorrectly construed as criticism or some sort of an attack, when in reality there was no such intent. Best to assume the comment was harmless and move on.

As far as I can tell, this place is a forum for learning and for disseminating knowledge, and healthy debates are necessary to delineate and solidify the generally accepted "facts" or assumptions in regards to digging, collecting, and dealing in bottles.

Misunderstandings will always occur, seeing as we are all unique individuals with our own experiences and personal perceptual and judgmental tendencies, but in general these misunderstandings can (and are intended to be) resolved in a friendly manner with a mutual increase of understanding being the reward for all involved.

Descending to the level of personal attacks is improper and destructive, and precludes the healthy vetting of ideas so that a deeper level of understanding can be reached. Making attacks based on assumptions regarding IQ or other inborn and immutable traits is both unfair and the epitome of ignorance. I have genius friends (150+) who got themselves addicted to Heroin or other drugs and have done nothing with their lives, and friends with IQs in the 80s who are very perceptive and emotionally wise, and who teach me invaluable life lessons to this day. You can get on someone's case for displaying unacceptable ideas or behaviors, but taking it to the next level by having a short conversation or reading a post or 2 and then presenting wholesale assumptions about the core character of an inherently complex individual is incredibly shallow and ignorant.

As they say, "Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people." We should all try to avoid the latter and stick to discussing Ideas and Things/Events. This way we can avoid the vast majority of unnecessary and preventable conflict.

JGUIS

Reaction score
I used to post on here all the time. I do alot of reading now. Careful down there, they are deep and dangerous.

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
posting on a forum is sort of like driving in your car.
People are quick to honk or yell at a person that cuts them off
but if they would meet the same peson in a supermarket they would likely be very polite.
Its a product of the impersonal internet.
THere are much more harsh forums than this one and friendly care bear ones too.
I'd say this one is middle of the road for moderation at the moment.
Sometimes people will provoke you just to see how you respond.
Dont take it personally.
THere are many people on the form who can be aholes sometimes (including me)
but the ones I have met in person are fine people.
It may take some effort to initially overlook members flaws and resist the urge to argue
but if you stick around and contribute you will eventually be accepted.
Whether you want to or not is up top you.
I'm not trying to apologize or make excuses ,
just trying to explain the insanity as I see it for whatever thats worth.
I'm sure others have a different perspective.

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: jimmartin

Im sort of curious as to why a presented a question on this forum...one that seemed to be interesting. Instead of an answer we had to argue about the proper terminology for water proofing. After 45 posts someone had experience with a parged privy and that it dated early. Here in Cincinnati the privies are very deep....25 to 35 feet deep. The research that did showed that in urban locations there was a real threat of cross contamination between the cistern and the privy. There was discussion of parging the inside stone or brick to prevent sewage from leeching into the cistern. I believe it was determined that all privies avter about the 1840 shall be 30ish feet deep. Now I have dug many privies but none parged and was looking for info from you. I'm not sure what the hell rick was on that day but he seemed to be just a child. Go back and read the tread from the beginning and tell me where exactly i was being an ass. Tell me what besides "wow" that I wrote to start crap with you rick. Right after "wow" you go off the reservation and you want me to contact you off this forum to "do it off of this forum and I will tell you what I think son" . Now i'm not a noob to digging forums, but is this the proper way to respond to newer posters? Just had to vent my opinion and to say that I have no hard feelings

JIm

Would you like me to send the good people of this forum the nasty Emails you sent me ?? Nuff said ---DO NOT BRING MY NAME UP AGAIN---

Also I have seen posts from other forums you reeked havoc in and testaments from people on those forums that back it up.
It is not me that "is on something" dude. Bedsides I haven't touched the stuff in 27 years so its allll me.
I am done with this. I won't say another word.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agrounds1