Question?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

wedigdixie

Reaction score
I went out to a property today that has an 1865 homesite on it and it was the headquarters of the union army during the battle of wyse fork, they have recently raised the yard with dirt to build a new home behind the exsisting one, so it makes it just that much harder to find the privy.

My question I did find the old well today, how far or where in accordance to the well was the privy usally?

THE BADGER

Reaction score
WHATS UP ,JUST THOUGHT I'D CHIME IN AND SAY THAT I ALSO LOOK FOR THE PRIVIES IN THE RURAL AREAS AND THEY ARE ALWAYS HARDER TO FIND BECAUSE IN THESE FARM AREAS THEY HAD NO CONSTRICTED AREA TO PUT THEM THEY COULD LITERALLY BE ANYWHERE ON THE PROPERTY.I WILL SAY THAT IT WOULDNT BE ANYWHERE NEAR THE WELL IN FEAR OF CONTAMINATION.I KNOW ITS HARD TO FIND SUNKEN SPOTS IN THE YARD AFTER DIRT HAS BEEN DISTURBED BUT YOU WILL NEED TO PROBE THE CRAP OUT OF THAT PLACE. CHECK ANYWHERE BEHIND THE HOUSE FIRST THEY USUALLY RANGE IN DISTANCES SO PROBE,PROBE,PROBE.GOOD LUCK . BADGER

David Fertig

Reaction score
Good luck. I'd rather dig a farm dump then a farm privy, but that's not the answer to your question. They could be located almost anywhere from the back yard to the side yard. I dug one once that was about 100 feet to the side of the house and probably 15 feet in front of the front of the house. Not quite what I'd call the front yard, but certainly close.

I've also seen them built up beside the house and just off the back porch. Heck - I know of a house where the old guy used a chamber pot on the side enclosed porch for years. Just dumped it out back when he got the chance.

The newest one here on my farm is still standing about 125 feet straight out the back. The one before this one was about 100 feet off to the side of the house and probably 8 feet from the back. It was off the walk from the back door to the barn - about half way.

I'd say work a grid starting with the back yard. Then the sides. Probably less then 150-175 feet from the house. But that's just a probably. Post a few pics of the yard on here and we can all guess for you.

Dave

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Its a tough one.

Try down wind from the prevailing wind direction (ex if the wind normally comes from west they wouldnt put the privy west of the house)

Also its probably not on the side of the house where the road comes up.

People had to get to it in the dark so its not too far from house or over any rough terrain.

I never found any privy for my 1790 house here. Good luck.

Darn 9 more post till my account runs out[:eek:]

druggistnut

Reaction score
What? Never knew there was a limit. I'm a longgg ways from 10k posts.
Matt- I will be in Frederick this spring to do some digging on a couple of permissions. We should talk.
Bill

surfaceone

Reaction score
"On Gen. Cox’s orders, Union forces hastily threw up a continuous line of breastworks on both sides of Lower Trent Road. Short of supplies they used boards as shovels." From the Battle of Wyse Fork marker.

Late evening greetings, Matt, you too, Matt, two Davids, and Bill,

If you're at "B", you might also wanna look for "D." One thing's for sure, with this action being the second largest engagement in the state, with 13,000 some men in the field, there's gotta be some stuff. I'd like to run around there some. I'd be lookin over any swampy/wet areas. The Union Hospital looks to have been right under Confederate guns at some point.

You gotta find something good, elsewise start usin yer board shovel...

On a not entirely related note, just a fleeting mental image of mine, really. Have'ya ever read James Lee Burke's, In the Electric Mist With Confederate Dead? It's a rip snorter, IMO.

n58154.jpg

GuntherHess

Reaction score
What? Never knew there was a limit. I'm a longgg ways from 10k posts.
Matt- I will be in Frederick this spring to do some digging on a couple of permissions. We should talk.
Bill

Its like those old gas pumps that could only sell $9.99 worth of gas[;)]
I beleive the posts counter will get to 9999 then the forum will explode if I try to go further and I dont want to be responsible for that.
That my story anyway and I'm sticking to it.

There must be a few places left to dig in Frederick. Plenty of antique shops if you are into that stuff.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cehobson