QUESTIONABLE EBAY ITEM

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

NYCFlasks

Reaction score
It is likely that you will be contacted by eBay in regards to this item, as they have contacted me about each and every one of this nature that I have sold over the years.
I recommend that you use extreme caution when replying to questions from low feedback members, as the eBay police use expired/dormant accounts as fronts to ask questions. Check the feedbacks on any questions you get, if the last feedback is old, several years, watch out.
I sell a great deal of stoneware on the bay, and I offer the winning bidder the chance to pick the piece up in person, as shipping can be very high on this type of item due to the combination of size. value and weight. I commonly get questions from accounts where the last feedback is 4 or 5 years old, with just 20 or 30 feedbacks total. Questions tend to be a bit vaguely worded, as it is not a stoneware collector asking, typically regarding payment.
If the buyer wants to pay cash at the time of pickup, that is fine by me, I know that the bay hates it, but, if you look carefully on all US Currency, it says and I quote"This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private". To me, it is a violation of Federal Law for eBay to forbid me to accept US Currency as payment for a purchase.....and I have told this to my Congressman a few times.
I have had a few auctions canceled over the years, but I love to tweak their nose.......

Plumbata

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: NYCFlasks

It is likely that you will be contacted by eBay in regards to this item, as they have contacted me about each and every one of this nature that I have sold over the years.

Every single listing? Seriously? I've sold plenty myself and have never been contacted once. Never had any such antique bottles shut down, including those with contents, and have been pretty blatant about the nature of the bottles in the title and description. Gotta make that money. The one single time I got a narcotic bottle shut down was when i listed a "new" empty bulk pharmacy bottle which had held 500 10/325 hydrocodone (vicodin) pills that I found outside a frat house... [8|]

Sounds like ya did something to get placed on their watch list, or you have bad blood with someone in life or with an ebay competitor who flags your listings regularly out of spite. Your experience does not seem like a common occurrence. Quite strange.

I recommend that you use extreme caution when replying to questions from low feedback members, as the eBay police use expired/dormant accounts as fronts to ask questions.  Check the feedbacks on any questions you get, if the last feedback is old, several years, watch out.

Jeeze man, you really must have tweaked their noses, hard! [:D] I've gotten suspicious messages, but from active users (crazy people trying to mess with me) or from 0 feedback ghost accounts of competitors who try to glean sensitive personal/supplier information. Sometimes they buy items to get personal info, and of course they never pay. I am very diligent when it comes to adding these accounts, and the legit accounts of competitors to my "blocked user" list. It is a highly recommended practice. Espionage is rampant in certain markets.

if you look carefully on all US Currency, it says and I quote"This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private".  To me, it is a violation of Federal Law for eBay to forbid me to accept US Currency as payment for a purchase.....and I have told this to my Congressman a few times.

That's a brilliant observation! I never consciously put that together before but will start spreading that fact around. Probably include it in all my listings to promote the tweaking. Thanks for sharing that.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
[

if you look carefully on all US Currency, it says and I quote"This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private".  To me, it is a violation of Federal Law for eBay to forbid me to accept US Currency as payment for a purchase.....and I have told this to my Congressman a few times.

PLUMMY: "That's a brilliant observation! I never consciously put that together before but will start spreading that fact around. Probably include it in all my listings to promote the tweaking. Thanks for sharing that."

[/quote]

..they're so cute when they're young..

Plumbata

Reaction score
hey now, I've known since i first studied a piece of US currency that that wording is included.

I did not make the leap that eBay's policies could be construed as being in violation of federal law. All the arguments against the policy I've seen have been founded on the basis that "it is lame and eBay is being greedy". Didn't think I was alone in this respect.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
No sir, you were not alone... there's plenty of youngins out there eager to embrace the realities of their environments..

Plumbata

Reaction score
And plenty of old-timers eagerly clinging to a shallow world-view built upon a foundation of falsehoods and societal inoculation.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
There's plenty of all kinds of messed up humans.. [:D]

Plumbata

Reaction score
And I'm one of them! [:D]

Re-reading my post I want to clarify that I didn't intend it as anything personal, just an irrelevant counter to an irrelevant statement. [:)]

JohnN

Reaction score
ebay doesn't like if you pay in cash? I know they own PayPal, and obviously want you to use that, but what do they do about cash? Also, how does PayPal make money? I never sold on flea bay, so I don't really know any of this stuff.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaygause