RARE colored drug store cool story

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

texasdigger

Reaction score
I have posted pics of this bottle in the past, but I have learned some new info about it recently. The bottle was dug by Bill Agee in the 70's. It was one of two dug, and the other is broken. It is embossed with the name Castle's, and he played a big role in the early days of Dr. Pepper. I don't know if anybody saw the story about the Castle's formula book recently being found, and sold at auction. He is the same guy. The book had a recipe for Dr. Peppers Pepsin Stomach Bitters. Mr. Agee says he has never seen another whole example of this bottle. It is the only colored drug store bottle with Castle's name, and I think may be the only bottle of any type with his name. I procured it from a member, and friend on this fine forum. He has been having some health troubles latley so lets keep him in mind. If you are reading this I hope you get well soon sir. Thanks for looking guys! I am going to have to part with it at some point, but for now it will rest on my top shelf.

Brad

36E485FBFFE64B5AAC61D8301C258EE3.jpg

Attachments

• 36E485FBFFE64B5AAC61D8301C258EE3.jpg
    36E485FBFFE64B5AAC61D8301C258EE3.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 59

appliedlips

Reaction score
Very cool history on that one. I wish your friend and fellow member improved health.

LC

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the Castle's formula book brought at auction ? I never did hear anything about it .

texasdigger

Reaction score
I have been wondering the same thing. They were thinking around 150k, but that seemed steep to me. I will go look it up, and post back. Truthfully I hope it went for me because that only makes me feel better about this bottle. Thanks for looking!

Brad

jays emporium

Reaction score
If I recall correctly, the book didn't sell because the Dr Pepper company was not interested since it was not a soft drink formula and the starting bid was too high for regular collectors.
Brad, that is a fine colored Texas drugstore bottle with a great history.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlexTheBottleHunter