seam to shoulder, then rotate 1/4 of bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Trying not to break it

Reaction score
hi everyone. this bottle 1st caught my attention because the glass appeared diff. clearer but with more distortion? it is 3 5/8" tall, bottom 1 5/8, lip 1 1/4" wide. the seam stops at shoulder, then starts 1/4 way around bottle and goes into the lip. no marks on bottom. i hope it shows up in the scan, there is squigley (sp.) lines that i would best decribe as a snake. any help in dating this bottle and why the glass apears diff. would be great. thanks rhona

Ec87788.jpg

Attachments

• Ec87788.jpg
    Ec87788.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 64

Trying not to break it

Reaction score
ops, just discovered that there is a seam around top of shoulder and neck. i take this to be a 3 piece mold. i guess that's why the seams don't line up. is this normal with 3 piece mold. that would make this older then i thought. information woluld be welcome, love to learn. rhona

bigkitty53

Reaction score
Hi Rhona,
That appears to a pill bottle 1880-90.The 'snake' and the distortion are most likely the result of a cold mold.(1 of the first bottles made that day)The 'snake' would be a drip from the 'gather' of molten glass as it was being inserted into the mold.The drip hardened enough on the cold surface that it didn't fully "blend in"(for lack of a better word.) with the bottle as it was blown.Just another quirk of old glass that makes our hobby so interesting![:D]

KAT

Trying not to break it

Reaction score
hi kat , thanks for the reply. i hope i can find some more 1st bottles of the day. do you know if the side seams not lining up and there is a posible shoulder seam around it. is a three piece mold. i have a couple of other bottles like that. i posted a picture of one earlier on this site, also have you seen a screw top bottle in a 3 piece mold, if needed will post a pic. thanks again, rhona

bigkitty53

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Trying not to break it

hi kat , thanks for the reply. i hope i can find some more 1st bottles of the day. do you know if the side seams not lining up and there is a posible shoulder seam around it. is a three piece mold. i have a couple of other bottles like that. i posted a picture of one earlier on this site, also have you seen a screw top bottle in a 3 piece mold, if needed will post a pic. thanks again, rhona

Hi Rhona,
Not sure what you mean by side seams not lining up and a possible shoulder seam?
And no,never seen a screw top 3 piece.The 3 piece mold had already fallen out of favor by the time screw top became popular,though I suppose it is possible.

KAT

medbottle

Reaction score
Hello. I've seen this type of mold many times, most often on these shoe polish type bottles. I'm fairly certain its an early form of automatic bottling machine, but I don't know if it was Owens' patent or some other.

Trying not to break it

Reaction score
hi kat & med bottle,on the bottle 1st picture above, about 1" from the right sideis seam on bottle (very faint) on the neck, about 1/4" from the left is a seam. the seam does not go straight up the bottle plus the seam on top of shoulder. attached is a scan of another bottle, the same way. i tried to put an arrow where the seams are as they don't show up very clear, this bottle is embossed with the name williams on bottom. i hope this explains what i'm trying to ask about. thanks rhona

Us52995.jpg

Trying not to break it

Reaction score
this is a scan of a 3" tall bottle i dug, the seam stops at the edge of the screw top, it does not go up threw the threads of the top like my other bottles. there appears to be a seam around the top of the neck where the threads begin. i appreciate all the help i can get thanks rhona

Hf10080.jpg

Attachments

• Hf10080.jpg
    Hf10080.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 68

bigkitty53

Reaction score
Hi Rhona,
Medbottle is correct.Bottles with the off-set seam thru the lip are refered to as blown on an Owens machine(,whether they were or not![:D])Your screw top was blown on a different machine.(But not one I know the name of![:)]Anyone help Rhona out?)

KAT

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles