Selling glass to support crack habit

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

hj

Reaction score
Hi all,

Stopped at a local antique mall today. I had been wanting to stop because the last time I was there a man was setting up a very impressive bottle display in one of the spaces. He had some nice Warner's, a few poisons, some shear top sauces and inks. I made a b-line to the display as soon as I got in the door.

Now understand, I have never paid more than $26 for a bottle in my life. My collection has been slowly put together by finding great deals on the bottles I want.

As I looked over the display, it seemed like the kind of stuff I usually deal in. All clean and only a few rare ones. Instead of a price tag visible he had a sticker with a stock # on each one, with the price sticker on the bottom, so you had to find someone to unlock the case just to check a price.

In his smaller glass display case were two bottles laid on their side. On was a BIMAL Castoria and the other was the typical Gordon's Gin bottle that you see everywhere.

The price on the Castoria was $55.00, the Gin was $145.00. I busted out laughing quite audibly.

He had a sign up that said he was always buying old bottles. By his pricing structure I am sure I could get $20,000.00 for my humble collection and he would still make a reasonable margin. [&:]

Needless to say, no bottles bought today...[:(]

hj

Edit: The crack habit is apparently the seller's, not mine.[:D] Just thought I would clear up any ambiguity...

cyberdigger

Reaction score
I think that vendor is getting his crack money from somewhere else.. something tells me those bottles are NOT moving! I don't know where some people get the nerve to price things up so much.. but I'll admit, I let out more audible laughs in antique stores than most other institutions! [;)]

Plumbata

Reaction score
Haha, wow, if a Gordons Gin was 145 bucks how much were the Warners? 7,500?

You should call the guy and ask what he would pay for 100 castorias. I got a box of em over here and will split the profit with ya 50/50 [;)]
s2.gif

Perhaps you should remind the fellow that the year is 2009, not 2159. I know inflation is bad and all, but not that bad. If anyone buys a single thing from that guy the need a slap in the face.

Good job on keeping your hobby an inexpensive one.

RedGinger

Reaction score
hj, that sounded so much like Joe and Tom's display (except for the overpriced commons), I had to ask him! Their's is in NY, but close to Western PA. I helped him write down some prices and we used the stock and display number on a sticker too, so I was blinking for a second when I read your post! LOL
If you are interested in some great bottles at reasonable prices, check out Joe and Tom's display. It's at the Salamanca Antique Mall in Salamanca, NY.

hj

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: RedGinger

hj, that sounded so much like Joe and Tom's display (except for the overpriced commons), I had to ask him! Their's is in NY, but close to Western PA. I helped him write down some prices and we used the stock and display number on a sticker too, so I was blinking for a second when I read your post! LOL
If you are interested in some great bottles at reasonable prices, check out Joe and Tom's display. It's at the Salamanca Antique Mall in Salamanca, NY.

No, this mall is about 60 miles of Erie. Interestingly enough, Salamanca is one of my very favorite destinations to buy glass. I am sure that I have probably bought something from Joe and Tom in the past. Where is their display located from the main door? Maybe I have bought a few...[:D]

Plumbata and Cyberdigger- This guy had to be a loon. I even looked at the tag on the castoria three times so I was sure I was not mistaken. I am very happy with what I have been able to amass on the cheap, I have other hobbies and I have to keep a budget for each accordingly. You know, I have dug a beautiful Doyle's Hops Bitters but have never dug a Castoria bottle. I bought a perfect one for my display at a flea for 33 cents.

hj

RedGinger

Reaction score
Sixty miles of Erie? Where that lol? Sorry. I never seem to make it to Erie, but there's definitely more there! Joe and Tom set up their display about a month ago, but there are other bottle displays there.

hj

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: RedGinger

Sixty miles of Erie? Where that lol? Sorry. I never seem to make it to Erie, but there's definitely more there! Joe and Tom set up their display about a month ago, but there are other bottle displays there.

Edit that to say it is 60 miles south of Erie...I will check out their display next time I am up in Salamanca. I have been there often enough to recognize a new vendor. I hope they do well with it!

hj

westernglassaddict

Reaction score
Actually, those "dealers" can really be a gold mine to knowlegable collectors. About 10 years ago, I was in an antique mall with a simlar locked case type deal. In the case was a bunch of super common stuff...Maltines, Bromos, Chamberlains, and a few druggist bottles. There was also a few nice looking items including a very nice dark green Henley's IXL, and a half pint light amber union oval flask. I could not tell if the flask was embossed, but I was dying to get into the case and soon the "keymaster" opened it. I was able to see some stupid prices on the common stuff...$25 on the Bromo, $50 on a Maltine, $200 on an aqua peppersauce, $75 on an unembossed pumpkinseed flask, and $150 on the Henley's! $45 on the EMBOSSED Spruance Stanley S.F. mint flask! Sometimes the dealer on crack will price junk at the same level as the rare stuff. The Henley's is at least a $2000 bottle, and the flask in the $1000 range.
I once saw a dealer stocking his case with a grouping of decent looking glass. One was a light yellow gasoline Vermont Spring Saxe &Co quart mineral water. There were some pontiled sodas and other cool stuff. I asked what the price was for the sodas and mineral water. He said "$50" I said I will take them, thinking $50 each.. He loaded up all the bottles back in the box, and said "tell the girl at the front that I want $50 for the box". I bought them.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mistymad28